12. My Sorrow

"YAMI!!" Yugi cried out.

"Farewell, my precious Yugi..."

"No, please!! I don't want to leave you!!" But it was already too late, for Yami could no longer hear his pleas.

Yami had vanished from Yugi's sight, and when that purple stardust had finally faded away, the spiky haired teen quickly scanned around only to find he was right in front of his home. Yugi turned back, the castle just barely in the far off distance. Suddenly though, tears filled Yugi's eyes. When those bitter tears spilled down his face, he collapsed to the ground, gripping his chest as he began to wail and cry out. Yugi couldn't fight that aching pain in his chest, and just gazing at the ring on his finger only worsened the shots fired at his fragile heart. He couldn't stop crying, unable to control himself. Yugi cried, cried as hard as he could, all of it because of Yami. Why did his heart ache? Why did it feel as though his heart had just been shattered? Never in his life had Yugi felt both so numb and in so much pain all at the same time... His heart felt like it was in pieces, and now he was trying to gather them up so he could put it back together again.

"Yami!!" Yugi sobbed. "Why!? Why did you send me away!? I was so ready to leave, and then you... You...!" He began to wail again, gripping his chest tighter.

My heart... It hurts... Why does it hurt so much? I can't understand why this is happening... What are these emotions I'm feeling, and why can't I stop crying? Why does it hurt so much...?

"Yugi!" A voice then called out to him.

Yugi gasped softly, turning a bit only to see his friends running over to him, Téa, Joey, Duke, and his other friend, Tristan Taylor, as well as his grandfather following close behind them. Upon seeing them, however, it still didn't ease the aching pain in Yugi's heart... Although he was home, it just wouldn't be the same, not now... He felt broken...

"Yugi, what's the matter?" Téa asked worriedly when she saw Yugi in tears.

He then remembered he had been crying, quickly trying to dry the tears from his face. "N-nothing... I-I'm okay..."

"Ya sure, bud?" Joey asked.

He gave a small nod. "Yeah, I'll be fine... Don't worry about it..."

"Okay, but what's with the getup?" Tristan then asked.

"Huh?" Yugi then remembered the suit Yami had given him, sighing sadly this time. "It's, umm... I'll tell you inside..."

They all nodded, Téa helping Yugi to his feet as they all head inside. "Oh, and I'm sorry, Grandpa, but I didn't get those parts you asked for..."

"Don't worry about it, Yugi. I can just go there myself and fetch them. This old man is just glad you're back home, safe and sound..."

"Yeah..." Yugi said, his voice sounding so empty. "I'm...gonna go change, then I'll explain everything." He then went upstairs without another word, but everyone knew that something about Yugi was different. He wasn't his usual, happy and cheerful self. Now, he just seemed so empty and broken...

Once upstairs, Yugi closed his door and slowly undressed himself, until he remembered that there was something in his pocket. He reached in and pulled out a golden pendant, one that was shaped just like the necklace Yugi normally wore, only this one was a slightly larger. Yugi studied the pendant before setting it down on his bedside table, continuing to change into his usual attire. Once finished dressing himself, Yugi slowly made his way downstairs, seating himself in a chair where everyone joined him.