08. Sorrowful Gift

December 21, 9:34 AM

Yugi awoke from his peaceful slumber, his violet eyes fluttering open. Slowly, he pushed himself to sit up before stretching his arms, cringing slightly. His wounds weren't fully healed yet, but Yami had rubbed a special medicine on them to help his injuries heal faster. By now, they were nearly healed, but still hurt a bit; at least they wouldn't scar though, that much Yami was grateful for, especially with the wound he never meant to give Yugi in his fit of rage. But anyhow, after giving a soft yawn, Yugi tossed the blankets off his body and slid out of the large bed, heading for the bathroom. He grabbed a change of clothes and a towel before heading into the bathroom. After closing the door, Yugi turned the water on, undressing himself as he waited for the water to warm up. However, upon removing his shirt, Yugi couldn't help but glance back at the mirror, giving his reflection a sad look when he noticed his back. He turned more, and all you could see were large, jagged scars on his back, about three or four of them. Yugi clenched his fist a bit, quickly turning away from the mirror.

These scars... Why does it still hurt to think about it...?

Knock knock knock...

"Ugh...!"

The bathroom door suddenly opened, Yami wishing to enter after giving a knock. "Good morning, Yugi. I just wanted to--" He suddenly cut himself off when he lifted his gaze, Yugi's back having faced him, but the boy quickly turned away to face the dragon king.

"Yes?" He asked, holding his shirt over his chest.

"I, umm... I just want to say that I have something show you when you have finished in the shower."

"Alright. I'll be out shortly."

Yami just gave a small nod before quickly making his leave, closing the door behind himself. However, before the dragon king could head in the opposite direction, he stopped. It was difficult to hear due to the shower, but in the background, Yami could've sworn he heard something else, and then he realized what it was. Once that door had closed, Yugi had collapsed to the floor, tears sliding down his face, covering his mouth to muffle his sobbing, even though the shower did most of that for him anyway. Just Yami seeing those scars only made Yugi feel horrible knowing that he more than likely saw those marks on his back, something he wanted to avoid. No one has seen those marks, not even his friends, or even his own grandfather because no one knew they had left horrible scars. In truth, no one knew the depths of Yugi's pain. Sure, his friends were aware of what had happened to him a few years ago, but they never saw what it had left on him.

-Flashback-

When Yugi was still in his early teens, he had a father, a father who was very cruel to him ever since his mother had passed away when he was born. His father blamed him for her passing, always abusing the boy. However, it had never gotten to point where his father would leave marks. One day, after Yugi had returned from the bookstore, his father was angry, as he always was, and took it out on Yugi. Sure, some hateful words and maybe a book or two being thrown at him was the limit, but not this time. No... This time, his father had forcibly grabbed Yugi and threw him on the floor before ripping his shirt off. Unaware of where this was going, Yugi couldn't comprehend the situation, until he heard the cracking of a whip. He froze upon hearing that unsettling sound, slowly turning, but his eyes widened upon doing so.

"D-dad... Wh-what are you doing...!?"

"It was all your fault she died..." He hissed.

"No! She was already very ill! Grandpa said her body couldn't handle giving birth to me because of her illness!"