Chapter 3 Willow

Morning came my dad sent me a text saying that my mom was asleep and that the doctors were going to tell them the news on Friday on what's wrong with her. I don't know why they would wait that long, unless it's bad news. I get ready for work I throw on a long sleeve white shirt and a pair of blue shorts. I walk into work and Shelly one of my co-workers was already there cleaning up. "Good morning Willow!"

She shouts as she cleaned off the tables, "Good morning Shelly, how was your weekend?" She smiled at me and I smiled back. "It was great my sister just had the baby boy Saturday and they named him Rubin. He is such a cutie you should see his big chubby cheeks he reminds me of a chickmunk. Sorry, I just can't stop myself from rattling on. Anyway, dear how was your week?"

Shelly was a 48-year-old who worked for me and she got along great with the customers, she always reminded me of a mom. She never got to have kids, sadly her husband died a few years ago. She's trying to get back out there and go on dates so far, she's gone on three. "It was good, some boy moved in next door." She walked behind the counters and grabbed the broom, "I'm happy somebody finally rented that apartment it's been on the market for a long time now. Anyway, is he nice?"

Nice? Maybe kind or sweet there's to many words and I didn't know which one to choose so I just agreed, "Yea he's nice." She nodded and started to sweep she was always here before me. Sometimes I felt like I didn't even own the place and that I just worked here. But I did own it I and my sister Winnie always dreamed of owning a bakery shop. But she sadly died in a car accident it was hard trying to move on. I still think of her every day, she had the exact same color of hair as me but she had brown eyes like my mom. They looked like twins I sometimes couldn't tell who was who most of the time.

She usually was always rattling on about poetry and how she adored words. But she loved baking more though, I remember one quote she wrote that I couldn't get out of my head for weeks. "My hand becomes weak and so does my heart. As I fought all the battles I have given up. For I cannot go on much longer do take my heart for I shall not need it anymore. Let it show you the kindness only it can provide for I am dearly sorry for leaving you behind." Those words still echo in my head at night, I never understood why she never shared her work. She always thought nobody would like it. But I found that ridicules she was an amazing writer I bet she would have written famous stories if only she could have lived longer.

I shake my head trying to get away from the memories and focus on the present. Time goes by and I loved how work went so fast, I barely had time to think which I always found pleasant. I looked up at the clock on the wall and it read 5:38pm, the door chimed as a customer walked in. But it wasn't any costumer it was Sarah the lawyer, I forgot all about the meeting. I look and Shelly who was baking a cake, "I have to go do something real fast can you take over?"

She looked up and smiled, "Of course." She looked over to where Sarah stood and her smile disappeared she knew what Sarah was here for. I take off my apron which had polka dots all over it and my name tag at the top. I hang it on the hanger that was filled with other aprons, I walked over and tried to put on a smile. "Willow it's so nice to see you. You look great." She said with a smile, I sighed, "Not to be rude or anything but I just want to get this over with, please."

She smiled and nodded we head over to one of the many tables and sat she handed me papers but I didn't bother to read them she would read them for me she always did. "So, let's just get straight to the point Marcus left you everything." I blinked did she say everything? Like in everything? "Sorry I think I misheard you what did you say?"

"I said he left you everything the car, all of his money, and that's about it." I couldn't believe it I knew it wasn't much but what he did have he wanted me to have it all. "O...kay." I said, she nodded and started to gather up her stuff. "Well that's all for now everything's in your name already. I will contact you if anything else comes up I got to run. Bye and be safe." She smiled as she left, it went so fast was it supposed to go that fast?