Turn to normal

Author's note:
The events of this chapter change a bit the story and this happened only because Nathaniel as a character on his own chose his own way to continue the story. Bear in mind that as I started to write the book, I had different ideas of how it would evolve, but my characters developed their own personalities and now they develop the story as they want.

Sutton Badfield

***Nathaniel's POV***

"Us against the world," I had told her last night.

This sentence meant everything for me. It was just another way of telling her I loved her, something I couldn't do at the state in which I was now. I knew she was something special from the moment I saw her and I tried my best to not fall for her. I guess I didn't do a great job, because I had already fallen for her. And she was like me, she was a psychic. Sia was the only person who could ever understand me.

Unfortunately, the whole world was against us. I was already married, Sia was not even 18, her ex was blackmailing me damn hard and she will be leaving the town soon. Everything stops us from being together and yet she is fighting and I am fighting for one impossible love.

"Honey, what's wrong? You zoned off again," Scarlet said as I went silent during our breakfast.

"I have a difficult case honey, that's all. I am sorry," I waved the thoughts away.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked me with concern.

Her eyes were full with love and I couldn't bare to look at her innocent beauty. I loved her, but not like my wife anymore. I loved her like someone close to me, more like a sister now. I just couldn't leave her now, she had a rough time and I need to be next to her and support her now. When the time comes, I hope that I will find the guts to tell her the truth.

"It's fine. It is a boring case and I really prefer that you tell me how your job is going," I told her with a smile.

"Oh, it is great. From the moment I went back everybody acts normal and nobody asks me about..." she paused remembering her pain and I nodded that she didn't have to say it out loud and she continued. "... And my boss is taking it easy on me. I am not preoccupied. They are all very nice."

I smiled back at her and forced myself to think about Scarlet and only Scarlet at this moment. "I am so happy for you honey, you are back in the game and I will be right next to you to help you win back your previous life," I told her and went to kiss her before leaving for work.

"I know honey. You are just the best," she kissed me back. "And make sure you come home on time tonight. You remember that we have a bowling night with the Stevensons."

"Oh right, the Stevensons. I can't remember when was the last time we went out with them." I remembered my wife's best friend Lindsay Stevenson and her husband George, who happens to be my old high school friend.

We used to go out a lot before the whole ... Painful situation. We were something like family friends and I was very glad that Scarlet finally decided to go out with them again. I was totally looking forward for tonight.

"Yeah...well, Lindsay reminded me the old times and I decided that it is time to have fun again. Just like the old times. Right, love?" Scarlet said as she put her hands around my neck and came close enough so I could feel her breath on my dry lips.

"We have to start having fun again, real soon," she said with a fire burning in her eyes and a devilish smile.

"Of course, my little devil. Now, I will head towards my office and you call me if you need anything honey," I told her and by giving her a peak on the lips I left the house.