Chapter 13: Deceptions Unfold

Ezra's POV

I flew myself to Lothal in a smuggler's abandoned ship. I couldn't wait to see it! It's been... what, a year? How much has changed?

After half an hour of traveling from the base to Lothal, I finally landed. As I stepped out of the ship, I had to shield my eyes from the light. The sand reflected the sun's light in every direction. From a distance, it seemed like the ground was a complete reflection of the sky.

I smiled. It was exactly the same.

And yet, it wasn't. It was missing someone.

Sarah.

As I walked into town, I could almost see Sarah and me walking down the streets, finally having a normal conversation since I was seven and she was five. Us suppressing our laughs so we don't look crazy.

As I thought about it, I began to laugh. That was the greatest day of my life: talking to her again, showing her our old house, and us having a true, loving hug that I wanted to last forever.

I found the crates and opened them up. There were shield generators, some scrap metal, and a bit of fuel. It wasn't much, but I think it will do. I loaded them up onto the ship and got ready to leave.

But, I froze. My curiosity sunk in and overpowered my logic. Maybe I should go see how our homes were standing. After all, who knows when I will be back to see it again.

I jumped out of the ship and ran to the house. At least it wasn't very far away.

I almost couldn't find it. Vines and dirt covered the entire outside of the building mixed with the peeling white paint from all those years ago. Using every ounce of power I had, I finally opened the rusted, steel door.

I smiled. The inside looked untouched from the last time I saw it. It brought back memories that I had forgotten: Sarah's first steps were here, and I was the only one to witness it; the first time we were allowed to be on our parents' broadcast with them, which made every one of us smile; and even when out parents came home to the entire place flipped upside down and their speeder dented, which was, conveniently, the first day Sarah found out about her powers.

Bad memories were attempting to break through my wall of joy, but it was too strong. I was finally getting every great memory back. I felt like I was in a dream, and I was about to wake up.

Sadly, my dream did end when logic defeated my curiosity. I had to get back to the ship and save Kallus... I mean, Fulcrum, from the Empire before they find out about him.

Kanan's POV

One hour later......

Rex, Chopper and I flew in an Imperial shuttle towards Ezra's GPS location. Rex fell asleep in the passenger seat, snoring louder than an adult Lothcat.

I started thinking about Sarah, Ezra, and the Prophecy. How much was left?

-One shall die by the other's hand.
-Their death will be the death of the killer.
-Neither can live if the other is dead.

I rubbed my temples. I couldn't think about either of them dying. They mean the world to me. I feel like a father to them.

Sure, I know I'm not their real father, but I feel responsible for them now. I would protect them with my life.

Suddenly, Rex shot up from his chair with wide eyes full of craziness. "Woah, Rex!!" I said. "Calm down. We are still in the shuttle. You okay?"

He calmed down and mumbled, "Yeah... yeah, I'm... how far are we away?"