5: Life's Death

Isa was shaken awake, accompanied by screaming and the calls of a Pokemon. The minimal light showing through the cracks in the wall signaled it couldn't be past dawn.

"Isa, get up! ISA!" Isa's vision cleared, showing an extremely stressed Kaden, standing next to his Houndoom.

"Kaden? What's wrong?" He mumbled, still half asleep.

"The village, it's under attack. A few of the Knights of Darkrai came in about half an hour ago and started fighting with the guards. Right now everything is in chaos. Some of the Saints were starting to escort people into the chapel while anyone who was able to fight picked up a sword and started fighting. They all got pushed back to a line of defense around the chapel when I left. More Knights just keep coming. We've only managed to defeat a few of them so far."

"What?" Isa shot up at the mention of an attack, looking around. He started fumbling around in the dark, looking for the sword. He cringed a little, accidentally cutting his hand with the blade as he picked it up, standing and running to leave with Kaden following behind. "How did they get in?"

"You should know, the guards weren't strong enough to keep them out. Without the Mercenaries no one could hold them back. Even if your idea would have been accepted last night it wouldn't have done anything now."

"Have any of the Patrons come?"

"We're on our own. No Patron, much less Valencia, is gonna come and fix it."

"But..." Isa trailed off. Children in Axiom were always taught that if something happened, the Patrons would be there right away to help defend the people. Of course, now that it was actually happening, all that Isa had been taught were little more than fairy tales.

"Come on, if we're quick enough we might be able to help take out a couple more of them."

"Wait, we're gonna kill them?" Isa almost stopped, getting a nudge forward from Kaden that told him to keep moving.

"It's either them or the village!"

"I guess, but can't we just drive them out without killing anyone?"

"Sure, and I'll become a Saint. Isa, they want to kill us. We can't just let them go. People in the village are already dying, and you want to let those people free? If we just drive them back, they'll come back tomorrow and then we'll all be dead for certain."

Isa was silent for a moment. "How many have died already?" He asked, changing the topic slightly.

"I don't know for sure, but it's definitely a pretty good amount."

"Do you know if my dad or Rika are still alive?"

"Honestly, no idea. I haven't seen either of them this whole morning."

Isa fell silent. There were no records of an attack on his home, or any murders in the town. Without notice, everything had been sent out of motion. All because some Admiral person died. "Then let's get back there."

"Nice choice." Kaden tried to lighten the mood by giving a grin, but Isa remained somber.

The two ran back to the village, their Pokemon following behind. Upon arriving, Isa slowed down, barely believing the village in ruin that stood before them.

"No... This isn't our village, we went the wrong way. I-If we turn around, then we'll find the real village and then..." Isa stopped running, staring straight ahead.

"I leave for not even half an hour..."

"Kaden, what happened?" Isa turned, refusing to look at the village.