12: A Dragon for a Fairy

It came as a shock to both Kaden and Isa when they found little to no life as they climbed the tower. The only signs that people were still around were the freshly burning flames on the walls of the tower. Each floor bore resemblance to the last, only differing in minor details such as hallways and windows.

Soon, they found a floor much different from the other ones. It defied all nature, a garden taking up the main area of the floor. There were a few trees growing, and even a small pond. A light breeze from a balcony made its way through the plant life in the garden. The balcony the wind was blowing from was expansive, spreading nearly the entire eastern wall, allowing for sight across the entire city of Luminia and then some. Both were amazed, looking out over the city. "We really are high up. It's kinda like that tree in the village, huh?" Isa leaned an arm against the railing, reaching his other hand over to feel the wind.

"They are a bit similar." Kaden smiled a bit as he looked over Luminia. "Although a lot's changed now. You see that there's getting to be some darker land around us, don't you? I guess that means those invasion stories were right."

"I can't believe it's only been a week since that started." Isa pulled his hand back up, turning around. "Let's just keep going."

He looked straight ahead, stopping. A woman in the white and gold armor of a Patron was standing in the garden, holding her hand up to an extremely tall Pokemon. The wind caught her dark brown hair, blowing it around like leaves on a tree. "Life does go by pretty fast, doesn't it?" She said, remaining in her looking up at the Pokemon.

"How did you know we were here?" Kaden demanded, already reaching for his sword and holding a hand out, ready to point Houndoom to attack.

"As if I wouldn't? You should know the Patron by the name of Aurora now, no? She sensed some legendary Aura moving about the tower and I was sent to meet the two of you." The woman shook her head, finally turning to look at Isa and Kaden. "I will not allow you to pass this point."

Isa noticed something off about her. The woman's left eye was a deep green with the other covered by a white patch. "What's your name?" He promptly asked, stepping forward in a slow motion while keeping his hands in her line of sight.

"What does it matter to you?"

"Ayana? Is that your name?" He confirmed it in his head as she answered, only a few feet away from her now. Her face twisted into a shocked expression, taking a step back.

"How did you know my name?"

"It is you!" Isa grinned, taking a couple steps closer. "Don't you remember me?"

"Halt!" She screamed, pulling her sword and pointing it. "I know no one by the Aura of the Life Pokemon, not even Valencia herself. If we had met, I would know."

"Ayana, you're being ridiculous, it's me, Isa!" He pleaded with her, noticing her free hand trembling. "Remember our village? All that time we spent together as kids? You were my best friend, and when I lost you I pretty much lost half of my life. Now you're finally here!"

"If what you say is true, then you will fight to prove it so." Ayana looked at the ground, placing both hands on her sword and pointing it to the air in front of her. "Duel with me. Each may use one partner Pokemon, but no outside involvement is allowed." At this comment she gave a glare to Kaden.

"It's a trap, don't do it." Kaden spoke calmly, returning Ayana's glare. "I'll fight for you."

Ayana rolled her eyes, taking a hand off the sword and pointing at Kaden. "I thought I challenged him to a duel, not you. I suppose you wouldn't know anything about a fair battle though, would you? Garchomp, prevent him from getting involved."