14: Conqueror

Ayana only hesitated a moment before she acted. She locked eyes with Kaden long enough to get a gesture across, spraying a hand forward at Darkrai while grabbing her sword that hung from her side. "I've told you once, and I'll say it again. My bonds come before any region of mine no matter the circumstances. Garchomp, attack Darkrai now!"

"Houndoom, Flamethrower at Darkrai!"

Both Pokemon leapt into action, immediately making their movements. The hits didn't land, but it was enough of a distraction that caused for Darkrai's grip on Isa to slip. The boy let out a few heavy breaths, turning his head around for a few moments to regain himself. "I-I'm good." He muttered out. "I'll be fine." His voice shook as he reached his hands to the ground to pull himself up.

Kaden scoffed. "As if. You told me you'd listen, so now's your chance. I'm going to help you get to a corner and then you are going to stay there until I tell you that you can get back up again." He leant down and threw one of Isa's arms around his shoulder, hastily standing up and slowly moving the two until they were up against the wall.

"I told you, I can fight. Just give me a minute and I'll be good to go again." Isa said, blatantly lying as he continued to catch his breath.

"Nope. You're staying right here until I give you the go ahead. Darkrai's paralysis isn't like normal, I've felt it before. That takes time to recover."

"You're never going to give the go ahead, are you?" Isa asked. Kaden turned his head down with a sad smile.

"...I'll see you after she's gone." Kaden stood up, still not meeting eye with Isa.

"Kaden, wait!"

"Hmm?"

"You have to promise me that you're not going to do anything rash, okay? Promise me that you aren't going to get yourself killed." Isa spoke with a bit of a stutter as he looked up at Kaden. 

"I'm not going to make a promise to you that I know I won't be able to keep. Broken promises hurt, you know? I'd rather admit now that I might not be able to keep your promise than make it and give you a false hope."

"I'd rather know you have the confidence in yourself to think that you can win this fight than hear you say that you think you're not going to make it!"

"What I'm doing is being honest with you. The last time I fought her I should have died. And this time, knowing my luck, it'll happen to you. I know you can go on if I'm gone, but if you died, I'd have nothing left."

It took Isa a moment to understand what Kaden said, but as soon as he did Kaden was already walking back to where Ayana was facing Valencia. "Kaden, get back here! Kaden!" He scrambled to stand up, stopping when his head started to spin again. "Just don't die on me..."

"What'd you tell him?" Ayana asked under her breath as soon as she noticed that Kaden was back next to her.

"He wants to fight, I told him he couldn't. Simple as that." Kaden responded, and clutched his keystone.

"Don't you think you're being a little harsh?"

"You'd do the same thing to protect someone you cared about, wouldn't you? Houndoom, you know what to do." He held the keystone out while looking to his side. Houndoom stood up next to him proudly, letting its collar give the rainbow glow that caused it to Mega Evolve. "Ayana?"

"What?"

"Don't let Isa get involved. And if you can, I'd like this to stay my fight. No offense to you, but I've got a grudge to settle." Kaden waited for a nod from Ayana, then stepped forward while taking a small breath. "Valencia, I challenge you to a battle!" He drew his sword, staring her straight in the eye. "One on one, we go until one falls. Pokemon may attack the opposing party directly."