7: Dreamer

"We challenge you to a double duel!" Kaden screams, quickly forming the dueling pose. "Each trainer may use a partner Pokemon of their choice, and we fight until an entire team is no longer able to fight, even if that point is death." To his side, Kaden sees that Isa's slowly gathering himself to form the same pose, albeit a lot more shaky and nervous than Kaden.

"I didn't think you would act so formal." Valencia has a sly grin on her face, which stands out in stark contrast to the Patroness next to her. Her face is one of complete seriousness, showing no emotion as Valencia speaks. "I thought you Mercenaries were supposed to be ones of trickery and no formalities. Or is it the influence of that one as to why you're acting so formal?" Valencia points to Isa, who immediately seems a bit shocked.

"I act this way as to show respect for my opponent." Kaden says, hoping to relieve some of Isa's tension. "You're a wise woman for having been able to rule for so long with such little opposition. Even as the enemy, I can respect that aspect of you."

"Then that would be the difference between us. I hold no respect for the Admiral of the Mercenaries who would go so far as to let his whole organization fall apart and then use such an innocent bystander as a stepping stone to get where he is now." Valencia approaches Isa, gently putting a hand on his face like a mother would. Isa's stone cold now, staring at the Empress. "You really don't think that I'm as corrupted as this fool says I am, do you? If anything, he's the corrupted one. You had no business being here, yet you stand before me, but for what purpose? Do you really think you can win this fight?"

"I-" Isa's shaking is clear to the point that Kaden has to walk over to his friend and grab his hands to calm him down.

"Don't let her intimidate you. Just be honest. And if you honestly think I'm doing something wrong, then go and get yourself to safety because I'm not gonna make you do this, okay? Yeah, there was a part of me that knew you'd be just another way to my goal, but that part of me is gone. If you're standing by me now, I want you to do it of your own accord." Kaden speaks in a very soft tone towards Isa, who doesn't turn. His shaking has gotten mostly under control, but it's still there.

"Why didn't the Patrons come to help save my village?" Isa finally speaks, his voice much more quiet than what Kaden knows it can be. "A leader is supposed to protect her people in times of their need, even if it puts her own life at risk. The Patrons are legends for us, and they couldn't even bother to come when we needed them the most."

Valencia pulls away from Isa, which Kaden notices relieves almost all of the tension Isa's been building up. "You're a strange little one. But I suppose that there is some sense to what you're saying. Regardless, I hope that you soon realize your faults. Ayana and I accept your offer."

"Ayana?" Isa finally makes the realization, starting at the Patron next to Valencia.

"That's not your friend, Isa. She's been warped by Valencia. She probably doesn't even know who you are." Kaden's a little strict in the comment, grabbing onto Isa to pull him back from approaching her.

"Ayana, listen to me! It's Isa, don't you remember?" Isa yells, shaking his hand away from Kaden's and reaching out for her. Kaden grabs his hand again and pulls him back just before Ayana makes a fast attack aimed for Isa. "Ayana?"

"We have to get ready to fight. Houndoom, Sandslash, on my mark start heading for Darkrai. Isa, on my mark we both go after Valencia. She's the target here. If we take her out then we can convince Ayana to surrender. Besides, no one should be able to handle a two on one. Not even her." Kaden commands, pointing a sword straight at Valencia. "Now!" Kaden presses down on the keystone around his neck, causing for Houndoom to transform in a flash of rainbow light. It lets out a proud roar before sending a wall of flames at Darkrai. Sandslash follows the attack, creating a beam of ice to follow the flames. Both attacks are evaded, but give enough of a cover for Isa and Kaden to start attacking Valencia.