Chapter 6

It’s Sunday morning, Brien hasn’t slept all the night; his fear of having nightmares or sleepwalking, banned his eyes from closing and body from resting. His boredom grows bigger and bigger and he can’t help it, he decides to go for a walk. He puts his red hoodie on and takes off . 

It’s 6 am, it is a little bit misty: the sky is grey ,the sun is obscured by the clouds and the air is cold but still sweet and fragrant, he breathes in and fills his lungs hoping that the freshness of the air will wash the heaviness inside his chest . He walks, everything is still shut and there is no sign of other people around. Suddenly, he glimpses a girl. He stops and takes a deeper look: a strawberry-red haired girl, wearing short dress and blue-jeans jacket, sitting on the grass with her back against the tree’ stem, reading a large book and it seems like she is devouring it and sinking in her private peaceful world. She is definitely Britt. 

As soon as he sees her, he gets elated, extremely happy and excited. Unable to resist the impulse, he rushes toward her. Few steps away, he slows down and whispers “Man, she is pretty”.

“this book would be so much fun if there is no creepy guy staring at me” she says without lifting her big blue eyes from the book. 

Brien’s face turns red out of embarrassment, it is hard to tell if she is serious or just being sarcastic. “oh, it just me” he says and feels dumb for such an answer “ I’m not stalking you or something”

She laughs and looks up to him while she is closing the book.

“Thanks god someone appeared at last, I’m about to start talking to myself” she says “I’ve been here reading since dawn , what are you doing this early, and don’t tell me you are exercising” she smirks

He leans down and sits next to her . his face is wearing a large smile and says “you want to know the truth?” he asks.

“Nuuh, lie to me” she replies in sarcastic manner. He rolls his eyes feeling more stupid because of his answers. He has never felt confused around girl and words have never failed him but now he seem like he can’t even say awell constructed sentence without being brainless.

“Well,I woke up early this morning” he lies “ and felt like walking” 

“you such big fat liar” she says “you should, literary, learn how to lie” she laughs at him.

He pulls back and looks at her, not caring about the fact she is laughing at him, he just sits there and stares at her, appreciating the moment. Unaware of the words coming out of his lips he starts “I wanna make-up for you, I mean , your first day at school, you were so nice to me and I wanna do something nice as a compensation. Let me buy you breakfast” he stops and restarts again “ it is not a date or something , just a breakfast, I mean, if you want to of course, it’s not like you are not worth a date but… “ she bursts in laughter , feeling clumsiness, he stops talking, eventually.

“I would love to” she says “I’m hungry anyway and by the way, if you asks me for a date, I won’t say no” she pours her full of confident words and stands. He is still on the ground, trying to grasp her words then he follows her.

“I know somewhere cool” he says

He takes her to a small coffee-shop, they get in and both order. Britt orders a decaffe coffee and he wants a full English-breakfast. in a quarter of an hour, the waitress serves them. They are talking and laughing, enjoying the meal.

“KILL HER” a voice screams in Brien’s head “TAKE THE KNIFE AND AIM IT TO THE HEART”

Brien drops the knife from his hand, puzzled from what is happening in his mind. He pulls back and stands quickly. “DO IT” his mind shouts again. He feel dizzy and about to faint. His face turns white-pale. He looks straight to Britt’s eyes and steps back away from her without saying a word.

“what’s wrong? Are you ok?” Britt asks , no reply .

“DO IT” his mind screams again in sharp voice , Brien holds his head in both hands. Britt reaches him and puts her hand on his shoulder “Brien ??” she looks at him and she is horrified.

“take your hand off me” Brien screams “get out of my way, don’t get any closer, don’t talk to me again” he pushes her and runs out of the shop.