chapter 14

The sky is turning from purple orange, as the sun sets to the West, waving good-bye,to the first shades of black. as it gets darker, Brien’s level of fear reaches a new peak, he had never been suffering from Nyctophobia but since the last “incidents” he has been  a little anxious when it’s  dark and he  has a constant overwhelming feeling  that something  near watching him, waiting for him to become vulnerable in any way possible again to take over him. He knows that he is safe now and Britt as well, since he has been injected by a combination of mistletoe and mountain ash to make the void spirit weak and powerless and he knows too it’s a matter of time that the antidote runs out of his system and he will be possessed all over again.

Britt is behind the driving wheel and Brien is watching the road; it can barely even be called a "road" anymore; nature had all but reclaimed it. It is narrow and weaved in between the large trees; Ancient pine trees which are on either side as far as the eye can see. The breeze picks up, making the tall grass and sunflowers that align the road move as if waving to some invisible viewer. The pot-holes scatter down the entire way are full with brown puddles. A cold fog is beginning to descend, hiding what no one ever saw anyways. It  “seems to lead to the heart of immense darkness”.

Moments later, Brien sees blue and red neon sign shining fiercely bright against the dark sky, indicates that the place is a motel. He has never been happier .

“let’s get a room, it’s been a hard day” he says to Britt hiding the fact he is frightened of the darkness “ and you have been driving for so long, let’s have some rest” Britt swings through the parking area and stops the car. They, both, step out and walk toward a big window office. Brien hurries inside; he feels better but far from safe. Behind the big window , they find an old couple, obviously the owners. Brien and Britt don’t have enough money so they book a room with two beds but there is no available room. They get room 9 with a single-big bed. Again, Brien hurries to the room as they get in, he closes the door , preventing the dark to get in , and turns the light on.

It has been a long hard day, Britt sleeps on the bed and Brien takes the sofa and both sleep like babies .