Chapter 1: The Event

*a couple months earlier*

"There is no way you're going to win against me!" I yell at Dylan, one of my older brothers, while furiously moving my fingers across the game controller.

Yes, I am an eighteen-year-old girl who is playing video games with her brother. Sue me.

Considering I grew up with two older brothers and no sisters, I am kind of a "mild" tomboy with rare girly moments. I can also get really aggressive at times. Well that's unless one of my friends succeed in calming me down.

I just finished high school and I'm going to take a break from school before I start taking college classes. My brothers, Dylan, who is 20, and Austin, who is 22, are both in college and have their own apartments. I have my own small house because I actually have a well-paying job, unlike my brothers. I have two guy best friends: Cody and Ryan, and only one girl best friend: Bridget. Right now Dylan is over at my house and I'm beating his butt at COD.

"Haha we will just have to see," Dylan replies to me.

By the end of the game, I beat him and my high score.

"I'm bored. What do we do now?" I ask, leaning back against the couch.

"I don't know about you but I'm going back to my place. Maybe you should call Bridget and hang out with her." He suggests.

"Yeah, sure, okay. I'll see you later." I wave to him as he heaves himself off the couch and out the door.

After he leaves, I get my lazy bum off the couch and go over to my phone to call Bridget.

"Oh my gosh Makayla! Thank goodness you called! I am in desperate need of a trip to the mall and you know I can't go without my best friend!" Bridget squeals over the phone. If I'm going to be completely honest, I worry about her sometimes. All the shopping and her over-enthusiastic attitude can't be good for her.

Her shopping trips always take hours and I am definitely not in the shopping mood. But then again, when am I ever in the shopping mood?

"How many times do I have to tell you, call me Mak. Makayla is too girly." I complain, scrunching my nose in disgust at the name. "Anyway, I'll be over in 10 minutes to pick you up."

20 minutes later and my best friend and I were entering the mall.

"What do you need from here again?" I question as we walk around.

"Oh, well it's not just me that needs something. You need to get a couple things too because you are going to be attending an event with me!"

"And what event would this be?"

"It's just this fundraiser thing."

"Bridget," I whine. "I don't want to go to some boring fundraiser."

"Makayla," Bridget mimics me. "I didn't realize you had a choice."

"I hate you."

"I'm sure you do. Now stop talking and shop," Bridget orders.

"What am I even supposed to wear?" I ask her.

"You should wear a dress. It's a somewhat semi-formal event. Also, you would look beautiful in a dress." Bridget says.

"I think you already know the answer to that." There is no way I'm wearing a dress.

"Well that sucks for you because this is another thing you don't have a say in."

"Did I ever mention how much I hate you?"

"Yes."

Neither her nor I say anything else so we continue wandering around the mall. Store after store and we still have nothing. That is until Bri claims she found the perfect dress. It's a floral dress that's a light shade of blue and reaches below her knees. She buys the dress then we continue to the next store. Every time she suggests an outfit, my replies are always "No".