Fifty-Four

"There's nothin' where we used to lie... Conversation has run dry"

 Conversation has run dry"

"If I had of known how bad the traffic would be, I'd have just stayed at home," I sigh, trailing my finger against the racing raindrops on the car window

"Looks like an accident up ahead," Harry guesses, craning his neck to see what the wait is from.

It was a big decision for us both, but after much discussion, we've decided that today is finally the big day. B-Day. Kind of like a light hearted version of D-Day, only we have no idea how it will turn out. How does one even announce that you're pregnant to loved ones? I still half expect that I'm going to be scolded, despite being of age.

"Do you mind if I get some of these emails sorted?" Harry asks, holding his phone up.

"Go right ahead," I answer, allowing him to get his work done whilst we're in traffic. Better now than at home.

Bored, I begin fiddling with the stereo system, clicking the CD button, and an old song begins playing.

"If I fell in love with you, would you promise to be true?"

Instantly, John Lennon's voice fills the car, and I can tell right away that it's a Beatles song. It's quite telling how even though I've never heard the song before, I can determine that this indeed is by The Beatles.

"If I give my heart to you, I must be sure from the very start...that you... would love me more than her."

Harry, now seeming to be aware of the song playing in the background begins fiddling with the car stereo system, but the song continues playing, and his attempts are more desperate.

"If I trust in you, oh please... don't run and hide. If I love you too, oh please... don't hurt my pride like her. 'Cause I couldn't stand the pain. And I would be sad if our new love was in vain."

With that, he turns the whole thing off, the music in the car stopping while his breathing remains quite strained.

"Harry, what the fück?" I breathe, not entirely sure of what's going on. "What was that about?"