19

"Say it again"

"Jackson really? This is the third time today."

"Please?"

"Fine."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line as Mark fumbled around with his phone.

"I love you." He finally said in a what was almost a whisper. I could tell he meant it.

"I love you too." I answered quickly, as if I didn't just ask him to say it.

"You're a dork." He teased, "Now, what time are we meeting?"

I adjusted my tie and checked myself out in the mirror. Today I'd come into the office to do some work rather than be cooped up at home all day.

"Movie starts at 9, I can pick you up at 8:30 if you'd like." I offered.

"Okay. That works for me. I'll be at home." Mark answered sweetly. "Can't wait."

"Me neither." I answered.

"I have to go now." Mark finally said, "And you need to get some work done. I shouldn't be calling you all the time like this."

"Trust me, I don't mind. Not at all." I assured him. "Anyway, see you tonight beautiful."

There was a shy giggle on the other end, "Alright, see you tonight."

As I slipped my phone back into my pocket and walked through the sliding glass doors, my co-worker eyed me with a suspicious glance.

"Hot date tonight?" he asked with a smirk.

"You could say that..." I exhaled back, heading towards my door.

"Anyone I know?" He pressed.

"Trust me, you don't know him." I said back confidently. "This one is... different."

*

When I returned home from the office that day I was happy to see that the condo was at least looking like its normal self again; I was forced to hire a temporary replacement for Mandy on account of her being out of the country on vacation for the rest of the month.

The broken glass, dirt stained floors, and wildly misplaced furniture were all repaired, the floor shone with a pristine glisten and the flat screen was completely replaced.

"Hello?" I shouted into the seemingly empty place.

"Good. You're home." A tan skinned man said. He was around four feet tall, had a very aged face and a grey mustache.

"Looks like you did a really good job." I said, taking a look around again.

"I need to get paid so I can get out of here." He demanded, already packing his things up.

"What's the damage?" I asked, retrieving my wallet.

"Let's see... four thousand... three hundred... twenty nine." He answered coldly, pulling receipts from his coveralls.

I winced at the sound of that, but proceeded to write the check anyway. I knew this would happen – something told me that it wasn't going to be cheap to fix all of the damage I'd created.

If only I could pay this man to fix the catastrophe that occurred between Mark and Tyler; unfortunately, that's something I would need to do myself slowly.

"Thanks. Bye." The short man coughed out before slamming the door behind him.

I breathed a sigh of relief and then headed to my bedroom. I had a few hours before I needed to get Mark, so I decided to use this time to come up with ways to surprise Mark for his birthday next week.