Chapter 15

The white curtains were flapping, the night air breezing through the open window. It was the perfect night: not too humid nor too cold. The nearby sea was serene enough to create a soothing lullaby.

However, Andrea was having a hard time silencing the chatter inside her head for her brain to finally sleep. There were no voices though, but images of the unknown future, the blissful ones nonetheless.

What would happen to her now?

Andrea wasn't so sure what to expect really. The last few days though, after she decided to make peace with her painful past – that she consciously reminded her mind everytime to not remember anymore – she felt certain lightness on her steps. Just this morning, she found herself humming to a song on the radio as she made her breakfast. She never done it for a long time it seemed.

A wistful smile stretched across Andrea's face as she turned around while hugging her long pillow, stretching her pyjama clad leg over it. The breeze filtering through the window hit her directly on the face. The cooling effect made her sigh in contentment.

She didn't have a full-on cry anymore. She was surprised at herself first when no tears were shed, whilst the thought of her unborn baby flitted through her consciousness the other day. Instead, the corners of her mouth turned up in anticipation. There was longing, she couldn't help it; she after all, wanted that baby so much and already bonded with him during those weeks he was on her womb.

She chuckled softly to herself, unsettling the tranquillity of her room. She thought the baby was a 'she' from her very first dream about it, but it turned out to be a 'he'. Andrea took a lungful of air, feeling her lungs expanded.

Would she ever see those twinkling bluish-purple eyes in an adorable heart-shaped face with curly mahogany blonde hair swaying in the air?

But Andrea was hopeful. One day, maybe not in this lifetime, maybe at the afterlife, she would finally see her baby. She just had to believe.

Shutting her eyes, she felt a lone tear running down. Andrea hugged the pillow tight as Callum's smiling visage became the only image on her mind now as her eyelids closed. That was always the case especially these days, and she never failed to whisper her love for him, hoping that it would reach him somehow.

It was silly but she was hopeless when it came to him.

*

*

*

The banging on her front door jolted Andrea, preventing her from finally succumbing to the sleep she craved already. She was at the edge already, on the precipice and one little nudge and she would have fallen to slumber. It was the worst timing. The unwelcomed sound disoriented her momentarily. She jerked up in surprise; the sudden movement made the beating of her heart sped up as she tried to catch her breaths.

What is happening? And then she heard human shuffling and cursing outside. Hair prickled at the back of her neck. The problem with having a little cottage for a house, noises reverberated all throughout the small space, sound travelling without a problem.

Is there a burglar trying to open her door?

Sleepiness evaded her like she was just doused with a bucket of cold water. She shivered in fear.

Andrea fisted her hands against the bed sheets, knuckles paled as she strained her ears to listen more to the sounds outside her bedroom. Her widened eyes, sweeping quickly around her room and blinking hard against the dim light of the open window, to find a hard object to fling to the intruder if ever she needed it. Shit Sherlock, her window's open! Trying to ease out her galloping heart, she took a deep breath seeing as her bedroom door was locked. Thank goodness for her habit of checking twice and locking her doors for the night. Don't panic, don't panic, she kept telling herself.