Chapter 8|| Sweet Escape

"Autumn, where the hell have you been all weekend? I thought we were going to hang out and ew, what are you wearing?" Courtney bombarded me with questions as soon as I opened the door. It was 10:50am and I was hoping it had been Michael. I was wearing a pair of old leggings and a long denim shirt that I had found in my mum's wardrobe; my long, chestnut hair was scrunched up in to a messy bun and I wasn't exactly dressed to impress but he had used the word dirty so this was the best I could come up with. 

"I'm just chilling out today, no need to get dressed up is there" I shrugged, trying to keep her at the front door. If Courtney stepped inside my house there would be no way of getting rid of her. 

"You look a mess! What happened to you in college the other day? You just vanished!" 

"I went home. I wasn't feeling well"

"It was because of Luke wasn't it? Don't worry, he's been pretty quiet about things and Ashton gave him a telling off. He's so sweet. Did you see his little fedora hat the other day? It melts my heart" she beamed from ear to ear whenever she spoke about him and it was pretty pathetic because the two of them had known each other for several years now and nothing had ever happened. Even I had made out with Ashton at a party one time, in fact I think most girls had... Except Courtney. 

"Yeah he looked great, listen Court I'm-"

"Come on then, lets spend the day together" she barged past me and jumped onto our huge, corner sofa in the lounge. I glanced out at our front lawn to see Michael stood at the gate waving for me to come out and I panicked. How was I supposed to get rid of Courtney without her seeing Michael? I asked him to give me one minute and I rushed back inside to her. 

"Courtney I'm not feeling too great today and I just want-"

"Even more reason for an ice cream and movie day" she flashed me a cheesy grin and put her feet up on the couch. I didn't even get the chance to say anything else because Michael strolled up behind me and Courtney had already spotted him. 

"What the hell is this guy doing here?" she asked, pulling a look of sheer disgust in Michael's direction. "You're ditching me for this weirdo?"

"Listen here you stuck up little witch-"

"Michael! Go wait outside please?" I pleaded, putting my hands onto his chest and forcing him to take a step back. Unexpectedly he listened to me and went back out onto the front. "Courtney, can you go now please?"

"I can't believe you, Autumn. Why are you wasting your time with someone like that? You can do so much better"

"Oh like Luke Hemmings better?" I hissed, folding my arms and starting to lose my patience. 

"Jesus Autumn, what's going on with you? You're so different! Call me when you decide to be normal again" Courtney snapped back, pushing past me and going out on to the front. I followed after her just to make sure she didn't get into an argument with Michael but I was glad to see him sat in his car. I grabbed my bag from the stairs and ran out to get in the car. 

"Can we go please?" 

"Yep"

-

Michael took us on another long drive out of town and into the wilderness, it was obvious he enjoyed being out in nature and it was growing on me too. We pulled up on a small patch of land that wasn't covered with trees and stepped out into the sunshine. 

"What is this place?" I asked, staring up at the tropical looking trees surrounding us. "I didn't even know somewhere like this existed around here"

"Not many people do" Michael took hold of my hand, his fingers slotting perfectly through mine. "This isn't even the best part" 

"Really?" I felt my heart flutter with excitement as he led me through the trees, bringing us out to a small waterfall that literally took my breath away. I stopped in my tracks and stared around with my mouth wide open, it was such an incredible place and it looked as though it should have been on the front of a postcard. The water was so clear you could see the floor and the sound of the water trickling down from the waterfall was so relaxing.