Chapter Twenty One

-Elsa's POV-

I waited. And waited.

I was with Hiccup. Flynn and Mavis seem to be avoiding us or something for no apparent reason. I have no idea why, I mean, we haven't done anything to anger them or cause them to hold a grudge against us, but every time we bump into them they seem to go red and ignore us. Well, sometimes Mavis tries to say cheerful things to me and so does Flynn, but that's all they say. That's not very important now.

That makes me sound like a douche; I should not have said that. Oh well, what is done has been done.

"Why are you standing so still, Elsa?" Hiccup asked me, pressing his elbow against the locker as my eyes darted here and there.

"For a friend," I said, biting my nails. Yes, I understand that is a filthy habit, but I could barely think straight at that moment.

Technically speaking, that was only half true. I was waiting for Jack, but he's not my friend. Anyway, I was waiting for him so I could go and tell him the truth. I can't hide it from him. He knew that I knew that he knew that I knew about the abuse, so basically I'm stuck. He'll probably come to me anyway - at least, that is what I hope in his situation.

"Right," Hiccup nodded, ruffling his brown hair. I've noticed over the days his voice had become slightly more mature, and his face was getting a little manlier. Maybe he was going through puberty?

"Hiccup," I suddenly asked, as the smell of perfume overwhelmed my nostrils and I shuddered in disgust. It wasn't the worst smell in the world, but it was so strong my eyes began stinging. "Are you wearing perfume?"

"No," Hiccup said, stroking his chin with his index finger and thumb. There was a strange yet determined look on his face which was so daft I had a hard time trying to resist the urge to laugh. "I'm wearing men's perfume."

"Well, you reek of sweat," I muttered as I leant forward and sniffed the air around him, and pulled away and shook, gripping my books tightly as if they would be reduced to ashes if I didn't hold them so.

"It's not sweat," Hiccup argued, looking a little angry and insulted. "It's vanilla."

"Vanilla does not smell like that," I pointed out and blinked, frantically waving my hand in front of my face to get rid of that strong smell. "Vanilla smells different, and I should know, because I'm wearing it-" I stuck my wrist out for him to smell, but he pushed it away deftly with his hands.

"I can pass," Hiccup shook his head, his hair flopping on his forehead. He moved it out the way so it was like a small chocolate coloured curtain. "I need to go."

He swung around, and then started swaggering towards Maths class. He clicked his fingers and then pointed at a group of girls, who giggled and waved at him. He made a weird noise as he went, as though he was embarrassed. I expected him to be used to it nowadays. The way he was acting reminded me a little of the way Peter Parker acted in 'Spiderman 3.' To be honest, he and Hiccup shared a lot of the same qualities - minus the whole spider-bite-gives-him-superpowers thing.

"Weird," I muttered. I did the combination to my locker, and opened it, looking for some lip-gloss to apply. Yes, I keep extra lip-gloss in my locker, but that's in case of emergencies. Like extremely chapped lips. I don't wear tons of makeup normally, but this was just to make my lips appear less cracked, because not only do they look bad, but they feel uncomfortable when you talk.

I shuffled some stuff around and then noticed a small yellow thing which was near one of my books. I looked more closely and touched it. It felt like paper. It was one of those yellow sticky notes.