Chapter 4: Something isn't right

I get back home and my mom's watching the news. "A shooting at a bar in Nashville, Tennessee has left 8 dead and 4 others injured..." Not again. Shootings nowadays seem like a regular occurrence. Unlike all other times, when I just think about it for a few minutes and let go, I go deeper. Would I ever shoot anyone? The immediate response is no. But think about it. Even if your family was threatened? I can't take any more of these thoughts. I can't make myself believe that I have the potential for murder. Murder is never the solution. When it comes to guns, this country is in desperate need of control. I could go and buy a gun tomorrow regardless of being under age. I could have a severe mental disorder and still get a gun. No matter who you are, a white supremacist, a radical religious terrorist, a complete psycho, or a violent alcoholic, you can walk into Walmart, and buy yourself a gun. I need to stop thinking about this. Is there ever going to be a solution?

***

I'm doing my homework and I see the large man's car pull up to the Usyk's driveway. Viktor's with him. I see Viktor step out of the car and he looks so different. His physical appearance is the same but his body language is peculiar. He's not skipping around or laughing. He looks nervous and frightened––traumatized. He's walking very slowly. Aleksandr and Sofia come out of their house. Viktor runs to Aleksandr and begins to cry. Aleksandr can't hold back his tears either. Sofia goes up to the man and looks furious. She's yelling something in Ukrainian, and tears start falling down her face. He seems unfazed by it as he leans against his car and pulls out a cigarette. Aleksandr holds Viktor in his arms and bolts into his house. The large man stands up straight and looks straight at Sofia. She doesn't budge. He says something to her with a stern face and gets back into his car and leaves. She's still standing there. Aleksandr comes back out and holds Sofia by the shoulders. She turns and they both hug tightly, crying. What the hell is happening?

***

The next morning, I wake up earlier than usual. I get ready and go down to the living room. My dad's sitting there with his coffee. "Dad, I want to tell you something." "Go ahead honey, is everything alright?" he asks. I tell him about what I saw yesterday at the Usyk's. "Well that is strange. Seems serious. I definitely can't ask them straight to their face, because you know how they are," he says. "I'm just worried about Viktor, I hope he's alright," I say. "It's okay honey, I think they're going to be fine. But you need to get to school. Are you ready?" "Yes dad, I'm going to leave now. I'll see you later then." "Alright, drive safe okay?" "Yeah."