Chapter 2: Viktor

Viktor isn't my boyfriend or the guy I have a crush on. He's our neighbors' kid. Sofia and Aleksandr Usyk moved to Fanwood about 5 years ago from Ukraine. Viktor was just 3 then. Viktor is a cute kid and I know him enough to realize he's a very free and happy soul. I baby sat for the Usyk's many times so far. I remember when they first moved here, they were kind of nervous and getting used to the American way of life. They were always private with their life and let me babysit Viktor only because he was so small and my parents insisted. My parents were obviously the first to go and say hello, to invite them over for dinner. They tried to refuse but couldn't. Even after 5 years, we still don't know them very well.

Viktor, on the other hand, is pretty out-going for an eight year old. He's smart, and sweet. He's got beautiful, shiny blue eyes, and a cute little smile with new growing teeth. I like him, he's a good sport and definitely not spoiled with iPads, Video games, cell phones and whatnot kids dig their faces into these days. I mean, I don't blame the kids, it's their parents who feel too important to spend time with their kids, or maybe they're just busy.

***

It's a saturday afternoon and I'm looking out the window. I see a car drive up to the Usyk's house. Strange, they rarely have someone over. Aleksandr and Sofia come out to greet a fairly large man with luggage. They don't hug or smile or anything. The man simply pats Sofia's shoulder and they go in.

An hour later, I'm busy doing my school assignments and begin to hear some voices. It's the Usyk's and the large man, they're having an argument, one loud enough for me to hear. I don't understand what they're saying, they're speaking Ukrainian. It slowly gets louder and a little more jarring. I suddenly hear the front door unlock. Mom's back with groceries. "Janaiiii! Come here!" she calls out. "Please put the groceries where they belong." "Okay," I say and comply with the order.

I go back to my room, already forgotten about what was going on with the Usyk's. I get back to finishing school work. "Dammit. I will never be done with work," I think to myself. It's true. Until we retire, our work isn't going to end. Hopefully, I will end up doing something I never get sick of.

It's 5 pm and already dark outside. I hear the doorbell ring. It's Sofia with Viktor. She's leaving him here for "just some time, we are busy right now." I'm pretty surprised, she never just comes and leaves Viktor with us. Odd. She also sounded a little out of breath. Dad tells Viktor I'm in my room and soon I hear him running up the stairs. "Hi Viktor!" I say, and he leaps to give me a hug. "My mom sent me here," he says. His American accent has a little touch of his parents' Ukrainian. "That's alright. So tell me, are you hungry? Want some gold fish?" "Yeah!" he exclaims. Soon I hear paws walking into my room. "Brody!" Viktor cries out with joy. Viktor and Brody love each other. Seeing them together always puts me in a good mood. "Oh you two innocent beings, bless your souls," I think to myself. "So tell me Viktor, who was that man who came to your house today?" "He's my uncle, my mom's brother." "Oh," I think, and go back to playing with them.