chapter thirty-one

chapter thirty-one
unedited
1621 words

"Who's there!? Are you bit!?" You screamed out, your knife clenched tightly in your hand. Walker moans were heard in the barn as you all approached. Some feminine screams were heard, along with the sound of things being hit. The sound of thuds and occasionally gunshots.

"Ah! Yes! Please! Not bit!" A female voice screamed. Her voice was low but still pitched like a female's. "Please! Help me! I have to find my wife!" She screeched. You darted off into the barn with the others, Evan closely beside you, ready to swing his knife at a group of Walker's necks.

Going in, you saw a group of Walker's huddled near the end of the barn. There, standing against a giant door in the back, was a shorter woman. She had tanned skin, black hair tied back into a high ponytail, along with one dark eye and one red eye. Probably a contact. She was wearing a red sweater, blood hardly visible on it, black jeans and black shoes. The barn had a rancid smell, either the animals that once lived here or the smell of the dead, or both. The stalls were closed and locked as if to hide something, maybe it was animals. With all the noises it was hard to make out any actual animal noises.

Everyone started shooting, other than you, Evan, and Lui. Evan wielded a knife and a gun, multitasking both weapons while you and Lui sneak attacked your way through the herd with your knives. As you made your way to the back with Lui and the girl, four Walkers come and tackled Lui against a wall. The other three go for you and her.

You stood in front of the girl and made your way behind the first walker, pulled its neck down to you, and lodged your knife deep within its brain. The other Walker kept pushing you, making you push your arms against its chest in a deep determination not to get bit. Knocking you over, you found yourself under the Walker. The force pushing you back nearly made you let go of the knife handle, but your grip was strong and caused your blade to unstuck itself from the Walker's head, sending brain matter and fresh blood across your face in a streak.

You saw the girl kick the Walker in front of her and shoot it as it staggered back, while you made sure to take care of yourself. Pushing the Walker to the side you got your knife and stabbed mouth against the wall, causing the blade to go through the Walker's mushy skull and get lodged into the wall behind me. The girl helped you to your feet with a strong ambitious yet kind look on her face. You returned the favor with a brief nod before looking down at the Walker, who tried to grab at your feet and raise your leg over its forehead before bringing your foot down with a stomp using all your weight.

The Walker's head looked as if it exploded once your foot made face contact with the weak skull. The arms stopped moving fastly and the monster stopped moving. Looking around at everyone, the Walker's were now limp around the floor, headless. Blood was literally everywhere and on everyone. You turned your attention back to the slightly shorter girl before you.

"Thanks for helping me." You told her. You tried to bring yourself to smile at her, but after that streak of adrenaline, you didn't have the energy to smile. She gave a serious and slightly saddened look back while nodding. She pulled a faint smile as best she could, you could tell she was genuinely grateful and wanting to be as kind as possible. Her posture even said so, not to mention the lights in her eyes of relief.

"Hey, you're the ones who saved me. There was no way I'd be making it out of there if it wasn't for you guys. Looks like that flare really did save my life. Oh, I'm Kristen, by the way. Oh, but I go by Krism. Rolls right off the tongue." She replied happily.

"Don't mention it. We're happy to help. I'm (Y/N), and my friends are Evan, Lui, Craig, Tyler, and Delirious." You introduced. "But enough about introductions, who's your wife?" You asked.