Chapter Seven

We return to our rooms after we finish eating. I stand in front of the large full length mirror in the bathroom, analyzing every inch of my body. I shudder at it and turn away, doing my best to push negative thoughts out of my mind. I amble to my room and lie down on the bed.

Sophie walks into my room. "Nicki... maybe we should go back," she suggests.

I look at her and shrug my shoulders. "Why? What's the point?"

"The point? The point is that we don't have enough money to stay here long. I should have thought it through more. Like I told you, I was gonna track them down. I guess we'll have to do that from home," she answers. "Get ready to go."

I nod, not in the mood to argue, not in the mood to bring up the fact that she dragged me out of the house in the middle of the night and forced me to come here with her. I get up lazily and begin packing the few things I brought.

- Danny's POV -

It's morning.

What's today? Thursday?

I look at the blue calendar hanging on my wall. Today's October 2nd. Nicki's birthday is in exactly three weeks from today.

Nicki.

Sophie never called me back. I quickly dial the number, and to my surprise, Nicki is the one who answers.

"Dan?" She says.

I smile. "Yeah, it's me. How are you?"

"I'm okay, I guess," she responds. "What about you?"

"I'm fine," I tell her. I pause for a moment, unsure of what to say. But then I think of something. "Where are you? What are you doing?"

She sighs. "Well, it doesn't really matter now. We're coming back. Sophie told me she was supposed to call you back or something. But she forgot. I don't know. I'll see you later. Have a good day at school."

"Alright, see you later, be safe." I end the phone call after a few seconds and begin to get ready for the day.

* * *

I tell Christian the news and he seems relieved. We both stay near each other throughout the day, talking about the situation whenever we get the chance. We've planned to go to Nicki's house later on.

For lunch, I sit at a table alone, knowing it won't be empty for long. Christian and Jacob join me. I expect Maddie to, but ever since Nicki left, she's been kind of... different. She has been talking to the group of girls the rest of us refer to as 'them'. They're the popular ones who everyone either hates, loves, or envies. Or maybe a combination of all three. Anyways, she basically ditched all her friends for some fake ones. The other day, after I told her about Nicki and Sophie, she got up and went to their table.

"No one knows if Nicki's all right? And Sophie? Neither of you talked to them?" Jacob asks.

Christian and I shoot a glance at each other nervously. I watch Maddie buy her lunch and sit next to Debby Rowth, a dimwitted blonde, also known as the leader of 'them'. I clear my throat to speak. "I talked to Nicki this morning. They're okay. I think I'm going to see them after school, actually."

Jacob eats some of his pizza before replying. "Oh, okay. Maybe I'll catch up with you guys later, after my football practice." He eyes Christian and smiles. "You're coming, right, Chris?"

"Oh, um, yeah, I might be leaving early. But I'll be there sometime," Christian answers him.

"Why are you leaving early?" Jacob questions.