viii

viii

Bianca

“Para ka yatang nakakita ng multo, Ate Bianca?” natatawang tanong sa akin ni Alex nang saw akas ay mapansin niya ‘yung presensya ko.

I threw a glance at her and tried to process what she just said. I saw her smiling widely; Kris was beside her.

Bakit nga ba para akong nabuhusan ng malamig na tubig nang sa pagpasok ko, nabungaran ko sina Kris at Seth sa sala? Bakit instead na matuwa ako, napuno ng kaba ‘yung puso ko? I should really feel overjoyed dahil muli kong nakita ang boyfriend ko whom I missed terribly. But why was I feeling this way?

Was it because I was guilty of not telling Seth the whole truth that Sean was my partner for our Off-Campus Observation? Was it because I was with Sean the whole day? Or was it because of the unwanted happiness I felt when I was with Sean, the guy Seth doesn’t want to be around me?

“Bee, are you okay?”

My mind snapped back to reality when I heard his soft voice. Tumango ako as I stared blankly at his flawless face. I smiled to hide the anxiety that was already killing me plus the guilt I actually felt for not being honest with him.

He walked towards me and grabbed the books from my hands. “Pagod na pagod ka yata, Bee. Are you sure you’re alright?”

Once again, I nodded.

He gently pushed me towards the sofa and we sat down. “How was your day?”

I pushed back my thoughts and tried to answer his question logically. “It was… f-fine. But what brought you here?”

Narinig ko ‘yung pagbuga ng hangin ni Kris. “Are we not allowed to visit you?” He raised an eyebrow, and that made me feel more anxious. Was there something wrong with my question? Was I too obvious?

“Hindi naman. I… I was just… I mean…” And I was even stammering! “O-of course not. Well…”

“Bee,” I felt Seth’s hand on my face, “Kris was just messing with you,” he said. “Kelan mo pa pinatulan ang trip ng higanteng ‘yan?”

I looked at him dumbfoundedly. Narinig ko naman ‘yung maiksing tawa nina Kris at Alex.

Seth’s brows met. By that, I already knew he was sensing something. “Gusto mo na bang magpahinga? Mukhang pagod ka ng sobra. Halika, hatid na kita sa kwarto mo,” he offered.

“No, I’m okay!” pigil ko sa kaniya. I didn’t want to spoil the moment they were here dahil lang sa guilt na nararamdaman ko.

“You sure?”

“Mm,” I answered. “Kumain na ba kayo? I can cook something if you like?” Tumayo ako pero pinigilan ako ni Seth.

“Let’s just eat somewhere. Us four,” he said.

“Pero mahirap nang mag-commute ngayon, Seth. Gabi na.” It’s almost 8 in my watch.

“We brought Kai’s car. Hindi mo ba napansin sa labas?”

Muli akong napatingin kay Kris.

Napailing na lang ako. ‘Geez, what’s gotten into you, Bianca?! Umayos ka nga!’ I scolded myself.

“Hay nako, Ate. Gutom lang ‘yan. Tara na nga at kumain!” Hinila na ako ni Alex patayo at palabas ng bahay.

Kris drove for us papunta sa isang malapit na restaurant. Seth and I were silently seated beside each other at the back seat. It was an uncomfortable silence for me, given na may unexpressed thoughts ako.