morning

I woke up beside you. You were already awake, you were staring at me. I didn't know why and I wanted to ask but I couldn't bring myself to do it. You asked me what I wanted to have for breakfast. I said muffins. You rolled out of bed and left the room. I could hear you moving about the kitchen. I heard the beeping of the oven a few minutes later, the shutting of the door and setting of the timer. You came back to the room with two steaming cups of coffee and a small cup of ice. You set the coffees down and plunked four ice cubes into each cup. You handed me one of the cups and I took a sip. The perfect temperature. The beeping of the oven sounded a few minutes later. You got back up. About ten minutes later you put a plate with two muffins a some bacon in front of me. I set down my coffee and started eating almost instantly. We had both finished with breakfast within minutes. I set both of our finished plates on the nightstand. You sighed and turned towards me. You smiled at me with easy happiness. We spent moments of the silence staring at each other, memorizing every tiny little thing on our faces, like the little wrinkles you had at the edge of your eyes  from smiling or how your eyes had an amber color when light shined on your face. I didn't know what you memorized on my face but you saw me in that early morning light.