Bookstores

It was one of those cool,dark days. Where it was quiet and umbrellas were popped up over everyone's heads. We had gone into the small bookstore because it sold good coffee and biscuits and it was warm and out of the cold. You went to wait in line to get our coffee and food. You fixed the coffee, two sugars into black coffee with some ice cubes to cool it down. As i fixed the biscuits with blackberry jam and butter. We sat in two large, comfy armchairs. I was still eating when you got up to go look for a book to read. You came back with Winnie the Pooh. You waited until i finished my biscuit to start reading the book out loud. You introduced the characters. I loved listening to children's books. They always made me feel safe and cozy. I listened to you describe Pooh bear and his love of hunny and his thoughts on why bees buzzed. You even sang the little songs Pooh made up. The softness of your voice filled my ears and warmed my heart. By the time you had finished reading the first two chapters  I had decided that I was buying it. The rain has slowed down but it was still dreary outside when we left. We went home, we shook off the raindrops and took off our shoes. We fell into our evening pattern. We drifted back and out and through the house, wandering inside. You made lasagna for dinner. It was delicious. We ate at the table. Since you cooked i cleaned up. There was a knock on the door. I went to answer it; it was your brother. He said he needed to talk to you. I told him you were in the back of the house, probably working on something. I heard him open and shut the door to your home office. I couldn't hear what the row of you were talking about. I heard a thump and a cry of pain. And then your brother came into the living room holding his bloody nose. He went out the door and left. You came into the room shaking your head. I wanted to ask about it but decided against it. You told me you needed some air and that you were gonna take a walk. And then you left.