Emily

I burst into tears. I can't face going outside to meet them even though my heart screams it wants to.

I feel a pair of gentle arms wrap around me, pulling me into a hug.

"What's wrong, Em?" he asks me.

"I'm blind" I sob. "I didn't want to tell you just yet cos now you'll run away and I really like being around you. I'm so sorry" I weep.

"Oh sweetheart" he says, wiping away my tears with his thumb.

"I'm not that immature to do that" he says and then continues with "I'm guessing you have been treated like that before".

I nod and he hugs me harder.

"Last night, I saw this beautiful girl singing away in a bar. Her voice was like nothing I've ever heard before. And she looked like no-one I've ever seen before. So pretty but in the most natural way. I wanted to talk with this girl so I plucked up the courage and did so. And now I have her sobbing in my arms. Don't cry ok. I'm still here. Now tell me all about it".

So I do.

"When I was born, my optic nerves hadn't developed properly so I was born with no sight. At first no-one realised because I would turn my head when I heard mum or dads voices. It was only when my mum got a toy out when I was about 6 months old and waved it in front of my face and didn't speak she realised something was wrong. I didn't react. She waved her hand, all the time staying silent and when she started crying I turned to the sound. They were told there might be someone out here who could help, so the company my dad works for managed to get him a transfer out here about a year ago".

"And have they had any luck?"

"I had a load of tests done a couple of weeks ago and we are waiting for the results".

"I wish I could help" he says, hugging me.

"You just did" I mumble.

I feel him press his lips onto my forehead as he squeezes me again.

"Come on, lets go meet the guys. I'll help you".

I squeeze his hand gently and manage a small smile.

I can get downstairs on my own so we make our way down and I go to tell my mum I'm going over the road with Tony.

"He knows mum. He's going to help me get there and back safely" I tell her.