Chapter 1: The Zoo, Her Past and a OK Ending

This is a fanfiction that I wrote and as a disclaimer I do not own Harry potter that belongs to JK Rowling. I only own the changes and the plot twists that I do.

And so enjoy~

Chapter 1: The Zoo, Her Past and a OK Ending

It was an oddly quiet morning when Harriet woke up, turning her head she looked at Dudley's old wrist watch, 5:30 am. Thirty minutes before her aunt would come and unlocked her door, telling her to make breakfast. Reaching over her head she placed on her glasses and sighed. At the moment all Harriet wanted to do was to go back into the loving embrace of sleep, but with living with the Dursleys she knew better than to do that, otherwise that extra amount of sleep might become eternal. After all when living with them it's best if you quickly do whatever you are told and don't ask questions.

Getting dressed, Harriet started to comb through her unruly black hair, silently humming a song that she could barely remember. At exactly at 6 o'clock her aunt come down and unlocked the door with a hiss. Quickly she left her 'room' before her cousin Dudley could slam her back in there, and made her way into the kitchen. Once in the kitchen she took the pan from her aunt's hands and started to make Dudley's special birthday 'breakfast'. Looking at the meal she internally gagged, the meal itself was disgustingly fatty and greasy. Even a unhealthy holiday dinner had less fat and grease in it.

Working on the food Harriet tried to ignored the clenching feeling of her heart as listened to Vernon and Petunia wishing Dudley a happy birthday, and how they are just so proud of their little boy growing up so fast. Although she couldn't stop the pain in her heart, she was able to force her face to remain black, even as Petunia and Vernon kept stroking Dudley's ego and throwing more insults her way. Sighing she just kept on placing more food onto their plates.

The meal was peaceful. Everything was ok, no one was angry, everything was at peace. At least it had been before Dudley had attempted to count how many present he got. As he recounted the amount of present he got, he starts getting red and huffing in anger on about getting less presents then last year, not even listening to his father's explanation that some of his presents were more expensive or bigger than the year before. Petunia saw Dudley about to have a fit and, quickly, but narrowly defused it by promising him that at the zoo that they would buy him two more things.

***

Harriet followed behind the Dursleys to the car, and just as she had opened the door, Vernon quickly slammed the car door shut and gripped her arm painfully. Knowing what he was warning her about she nodded her head at him. However he didn't buy it and gave her arm a warning squeeze, the squeeze making her bones to groan under the pressure.

Entering the car Harriet winced as she looked at her arm. 'That's going to bruise latter.'***

'I know that this was bad to think about,' Harriet thought happily as she walked behind the Dursleys in the reptilian house. 'But I'm kinda glad that Mrs. Figg broke her leg; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to experience going to the zoo! The zoo is amazing and I even got an ice cream! It may have been the cheapest one, but considering that I never get anything like that back at the Dursleys, today really is amazing.'

Standing in front of a snake display Dudley started commanding the snake to "Move!" and slapped the glass. So focused on his task that he didn't see the looks of the other visitors.

Not giving up Dudley slapped at the glass one more time before he turned to whined at Vernon. "Daddy, make it move!"

With that Vernon tapped the glass with his knuckles and also commanded the snake, but seeing that it wasn't moving he ended up getting frustrated and processed to bang on the glass aggressively. People all around glared at the duo hitting the glass. Watching the two Harriet felt something inside of her churn uncomfortably. She knows that she wasn't allowed to stand up for herself, but she did know that she could at least stand up for the snake by quieting the two and if she was lucky not getting in trouble as well.