Chapter Sixteen (Re-Edited)

I have not spoken of this woman, not by name until now. Not because I had forgotten to mention, but for it was not important at the time.

Alexandrie Beauchêne was the daughter of a rather wealthy jewelry maker, a man who grew from poverty from the late 1700's after the Revolution. The woman my older brother Arthur was supposed to marry before his unjust death. Even when Arthur had died, Alexandrie would often visit my mother and I, she would mainly speak with my mother, not to mention she and I held really nothing in common.

I liked books and history, she liked frilly dresses and the latest fashion trends. I was a timid, shy girl, she was outgoing and a grand socialite. But considering her family it was no surprise. I held no ill towards her and she would often try to get me out of my shell and into the world. Often dragging, in quite the literal fashion, to parties and gatherings when I was younger.

She also seemed to hold a keen interest in Edmond, but many women did so it was no surprise either. The one thing that bothered me about that however was that not long after the engagement between her and my brother had been announce I started to notice her wandering eye towards other men. Her flirtatious comments to them when Arthur was not around. And whenever I caught her in the act of it, she would tell me that there was no real harm in it that it was only for fun. If she was single, I would have no problems, but I did not like the fact that she would do this when she was to marry my brother.

Thinking on it, I recalled a few times where my brother and Alexandrie would get into fights over what she said to another man. I would not know of it fully for my mother or Edmond would often remove me from the room so not to get swept up in all that negativity. This was also a reason why marriage was not on my list of priorities.

"I am so happy that you are doing so very well." Alexandrie said to me when we had reached Edmond's home, insisting to speak with me in private. At least mostly. Francis and her granddaughters, , who are identical twins I might add, had remained close by so could have some tea and something to eat while I merely had my glass of blood, which the woman took to believe as nothing more then wine.

She wished to speak only to me, so Edmond merely had to wait in some other part of his home, away from hearing distances so he could not eavesdrop. He was probably pacing like that of a madman, wanting to know what was going on.

"You are probably surprised to see me after so long." she said after taking a sip of her tea. "You know that I stayed to assist your mother with her personal affairs, but after so much had happened, I needed some time to myself. As I am sure you had as well despite everything within your school and the horrid girls who bullied you. In fact, I was rather shocked to hear what happened to Joséphine. To think that she would take her own life and leave you alone in the world not long after the war is just horrible."

"Yes." I said as I kept my gaze to the glass in front of me my thumb and index finger rubbing the glass's stem. "But you were close to her as well. It must have bothered you greatly when you heard."

"She was to be my mother in-law, of course it did. She was always so kind listening to my problems and talking with me after Arthur's death. I wished she could have still been, but we cannot dwell on the past and must look ahead."

I remained silent and took a sip, I never liked being rushed when it came to sort out my own emotions. I suppose it is why some people in my life found me to be rather gloomy when my brother died. But truly what did they expect to see? Arthur was my only brother, a brother who was stabbed to death. Even now there were still some instances in his death that did not sit well, with either that of myself or Edmond but what more could we do rather then speculate? Currently, we had no means for finding out the truth. Thinking about it was all we could do.