Chapter Four

Emilia's loud giggles scream out as Buster, the sanctuary's Border Collie, dives all over her, licking his tongue across her face. I pour the disinfectant on the pavement outside the kennels, checking my watch for the fourth time since we opened at nine o'clock. Bret is late. It's now twenty-past-eleven, and he's a no-show.

"MeMe, come here. I don't want him catching your face with his teeth, sweetie," I say, watching her kiss behind Buster's floppy ears.

I get her tiny jug out and dip it into my bucket of water. "Can you pour this on the pavement for me until the brown stuff goes white?"

Emilia dashes over here, taking the jug from my hands. "I want a doggy. Can I get one?"

I scrub the floor with the sweeping brush. "It's not up to me. You'll have to ask your mummy or daddy."

She sprinkles the water where I told her to. "Mummy doesn't like dogs. She says that they end up chewing your furniture and going toilet where they shouldn't."

I laugh. "If they're puppies, they might. But, grown-up dogs who're house trained shouldn't be as naughty."

Emilia goes back in for another jug of water. "Please, can I have one of your doggies?"

I laugh. "Sure, but they must stay here, okay? My mummy would get sad if you took one away because they all sleep in her house at night."

Emilia grins. "That would be so cool!"

Back in two-thousand-and-seven, my parents started out Haven Hill Animal Sanctuary as a way to sedate their love of animals. It started off as a boarding house where people would pay to leave their pets while they went on holiday. Quickly turning into a passion, they had no choice but to hire staff to help run the place, noticing how many applicants suffered from mental health issues.

I switch on the jet washer, blasting away all the dirty foam, laughing when Emilia dances in the mist. Crazy kid. Once the pavement is sparkling clean, I go into the kennels, washing the rubber matting while the dogs are out training with their handlers. All but Buster, who is chasing a stick around the gardens, waiting for Bret to arrive.

I check my watch once more, giving up on him turning up today. It isn't uncommon for patients to get cold feet, but they always learn that we don't let them give up. It's known for the staff to drive miles to collect people who want a duvet day.

Emilia dashes over to me, hair a wild mess. Note to self: Hairdresser's appointment. She itches her eyebrows. "Diana, why aren't I at school?"

I turn off the jet washer and switch on the nifty overhead fans that help dry the mats off. "It's teacher training day. You'll be back to normal tomorrow."

"Okay!" She follows me out of the kennel.

"Are you ready for a snack yet?" I ask, putting the tools away in the storage shed.

Emilia nods, always ready to eat. "Yes! Chocolate, please."

I laugh, reaching out for her hand, whistling to Buster, so he follows us. "I packed you some strawberries and yoghurt. You can have chocolate after you've eaten your lunch."

"Is it the Kinder egg? They're yummy!"

Nine times out of ten, she'll abandon the chocolate to play with the toy that comes inside.

I open the reception door, jumping out my skin when I see Bret sat on the wooden benches. Emilia rushes towards him, introducing herself, asking about his poorly leg. I die on the spot, not wanting her to upset him, but Bret seems to take it in his stride, showing her his prosthetic leg.