Chapter Eight

Friday is here, and I don't know what to feel anymore. Bret is in the car with me, Emilia talking away in the back seat while Tommy gazes moodily out of the window. I'm dropping them both off at school before going to work, making a stop off for the breakfast I promised Bret too.

"Do I have to go to school?" Emilia says, rocking in her car seat.

I glance into the rearview mirror and smile when she spots me. "Yea, you do, I'm afraid."

That famous pout of hers is back on show. "But, I want to come with you."

It makes me smile because she's so damn cute. "You love school. And it's the weekend tomorrow, so you'll get two whole days off."

She lets out a small giggle. "And, I'll be staying at daddy's house!"

"You will, baby. We're taking the ponies to the beach tomorrow morning too, remember?"

She screeches. "I remember."

Timmy makes a loud groaning noise before cutting his sister a foul look. "Emilia, shut the hell up."

I mount the car on the kerb outside the school gates and turn around in my seat. "Don't speak to your sister in that way. It's not nice."

Timmy rolls his eyes, fingers pushing his hair around. "She's always so loud."

The cut on his head is healing nicely but says that on doctor's orders, he can't wash his hair at all this week. It's annoying him because he can't spike it up with gel. Not that he needs to be worrying about it at his age.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and open the car door. "If you feel unwell today, please tell the teachers to ring your mum, okay, Tim?"

Timmy climbs out of the car and mumbles, "Whatever."

I don't bother asking him to wait for me to walk him inside, his friends already waving him over to the other side of the playground. Emilia helps me by unbuckling herself, sliding off the seat so she can stand on the car mats and speak to Bret through the gap between the front seats.

"'Bye, army guy!" she says.

Bret's teeth appear when he beams her way. "See you later, angel. I hope you enjoy school."

Emilia's cheeks flush bright pink. "It's my turn to bring home the class guinea pig!"

That's news to me.

I hold my hand out to her, holding her up when she stumbles out of the car. "When was this decided?"

I get her beautiful brown eyes staring up at me when we walk through the school gates. "Ages ago."

I laugh. "And, you didn't think to tell us?"

Emilia skips, hand warm against my palm. "No. Rory can still come sleep at daddy's house this weekend, right?"

I don't know how Cameron will feel about her bringing the class pet home, but I'm not going to be the one to stamp all over her excitement. "Of course it's okay."

"Yes!" She gives a tiny jump, dragging out the last word.

I let go of her hand and let her run up the concrete steps leading into Clee View prep school. The entrance is full of children and parents, a lot of them hanging up coats and sports bags on pegs. I find Emilia's name on her coat hook and help her out of her grey school blazer, pulling down her matching cardigan when it rides up.

I bend down and pull her into my arms, kissing behind her ear where the skin is extremely soft. "I love you, Emmy. Have a wonderful day, sweetheart. I'll see you at three."