Chapter Twenty-Eight

Part II has already been written and will follow soon, so stay tuned.

Terrible silence falls upon the tiny room once I've spoken those words out loud and I don't even realize I'm holding my breath until I open my mouth to speak, but no words come out. Andy stands up and leaves without looking at me and instead of stopping him, I wait until I'm sure he's reached the end of the staircase back to the living room and then follow with quivering lips and my eyes filling up, but I blink back the tears and stand still to see what Andy is doing instead.

"We're leaving," he decides in a stone-cold tone, confusing both Jess and his mother, but although I didn't expect it, I'm not surprised. 

"What? Now? But..." Amy is lost for words for a moment and stands up, but her son shakes his head. "I'll have someone sent to fix your washing machine, mom, and I'll pay it, okay? But we really need to go." He has made his decision and won't let anyone change it now, but Amy is still not able to comprehend his sudden changes of his mindset, which is absolutely relatable. 

"You really don't have to pay for that," she stammers and reaches out to her son, but he takes a step back and her eyes glisten. "But I will," he insists, not leaving room for debates. "Jess, Lily, get your stuff."

"Why are you leaving so soon?" she continues, but the look on his face remains stern and I know it won't change into anything friendly anytime soon. "I have to get some more stuff done, mom, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you," he promises, maybe even honestly.

"But... why now? Why all of a sudden? Andy, this isn't like you," she tries again and I sigh quietly when I see what Andy is up to now because he's not in the mood to deal with anything uncomfortable now, and I would usually speak up against it, but I don't do anything except stand and watch this time. "I was hoping I wouldn't need it," Andy admits and pulls his mother close to start his shitty thing and I let it happen, but refuse to watch it.

"Come on, Jess, we'll get our bags," I snap at her and yank on her arm because I already expect her not to follow voluntarily. "But," she begins to protest and I'm not in the mood for debates either, so I have my ways. "I swear I will seriously punch you this time if you don't shut up," I inform her, this time not just threatening, and she sees that in my eyes and swallows hard. "You have serious anger..." she starts.

"I am serious," I repeat coldly and she follows me to the staircase without resistance, and even though I know she only doesn't put up serious fights because of the compulsion, I can't deny how powerful it makes me feel to have someone under control like this. I'd never say it, though.

"You're such a bitch," she mutters as we make our way upstairs without looking back.

"I know. Now go and pack Andy's stuff too," I reply without emotion because I feel mostly numb inside right now which is either a really great or really bad thing, but the numbness keeps me from judging.

---

"I won't take your credit card," I state firmly when Andy tries to hand me the black piece of plastic, and he rolls his eyes. "Don't be a fool. You know I-" he starts, "That's not the point," I throw in, "I just know where the money comes from." Instead of the card, my hands tightly clutch my duffel bag with cold fingers.

"You really want to start that again?" he asks and there is absolutely no emotion in his voice and his stone-cold attitude is painful inside. "I don't want this money," I insist and he takes a step back, but still refuses to slip the card back into his leather wallet. "And you want to pay a two-hour cab ride yourself? Do you know how expensive that is?"