Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Oh god," Alex sighs, "I really want to support you, but it drives me crazy when people have deep conversations, but refuse to tell what the fuck they're even talking about!"

"We don't have to talk about it," I quietly tell her, slightly intimidated by her sudden anger because of my behavior. "Yes, we do," they both agree, but I don't know how to continue this without causing them to get mad at me because I simply can't admit anything. 

"I just really can't tell you all those private things, you know." I frown. "I'm sorry... It's been so long anyway... Before we came here. Before I knew you."

That statement sparks curiosity. "But why is it still relevant?"

I tilt my head sideways, puzzled. "What?"

"You said it's been so long. Why is it still relevant?" Alex asks me, her elbows propped up on the table and her face held by her hands, an intense gaze watching mine for clues.

I hesitate before replying. "Well, cause we remember, I guess," I slowly say and Ash rolls her eyes at me and makes me feel like a child all over again. "Fuck, you two are so complicated."

"Yeah. I don't think I could do it," her girlfriend agrees quietly and I bite my lip to hold back a comment, but need to say something. "Do what? We're not together."

"That makes it worse," Ash throws in quietly, avoiding to look at me, and I snarl at her. "Oh please, don't start that shit with feelings again. We're not into each other."

"That's the problem," she insists again, playing with her hair not to have to look at me directly.

"What?" I make sure I heard her right. What does she mean with that?

"You both keep telling yourselves that," she explains further and I let out a condescending sound. "And you think you know it better than I do?"

"No. I think you deny it," she tells me and I turn my attention to her girlfriend. "Do you think that too?" I don't receive a clear answer, but the look I get is enough. "Screw the both of you," I state and Alex sighs because they have, assumingly unintentionally, pissed me off. "Hey, I'm just saying that you two have something going on and..."

"We don't!" I sharply cut her off and the waiter who passes by shoots me a glance that I gladly ignore.

Alex lays both her hands down the table to prepare her point, looking at me to make sure I listen. "Okay, look at it this way. If you're really not into each other. At all."

"We're not," I throw in and she sits back. "Then why are you like this?"

Wrinkling my forehead, I try to understand where she's going. "You mean why we fight all the time?" Her nod confirms my assumptions. "Maybe we're just incompatible," I suggest unsurely because I haven't thought this through.

"Like shit you are," Ash huffs and when we both throw her a look that indicates she isn't helping, she mumbles, "I'm just saying."

"You two are super different. Everyone knows that," Alex tries to be better. "But you always perfectly add up to each other."

"I have no idea what you're even talking about," I push her romantic assumptions aside and Ash still can't hold back her comments. "I call that bullshit."

Watching the two of them trying to figure out how to read my mind, I question, "Since when is this a counseling session about my feelings, guys?"
After a moment in silence, Ash shrugs. "Someone has to make you face the truth, ya know."

I chuckle humorlessly and point a finger at her. "You are so full of shit."

"Blatant denial," she shoots back and I shake my head. "Ts."