Chapter 5 (Dipper pov)

Wirt's words sent a shiver up Dipper's spine. Something big was going on in these woods. Something unnatural. Wirt probably knew more about this Beast than he was letting on. 

Dipper looked over at Mabel. She was still waltzing around with Greg on top of her shoulders on Beatrice the bluebird on top of Greg. Jason Funderburker (which was what they named their frog for some reason) was hopping alongside them, trying not to be trampled. Soos and Wendy were walking side-by-side, whispering to each other. Dipper got the feeling they didn't trust the newcomers. He wasn't sure how he felt about them. 

Then he realized Wirt was staring at him. "Ahh! Sorry!" 

"Gah! No, I'm sorry for staring!" 

"I just... I have to ask. Why are you dressed like a gnome? Mabel wanted to know. She hasn't had the best experiences with gnomes." 

"Oh this?" Wirt picked at his cloak. "It was just... my Halloween costume. Greg was supposed to be an elephant. But... when have you met gnomes? Do they talk?" 

"Unfortunately. The first time we met them, they tried to marry Mabel! And did you know they bathe with squirrels? I wish I was kidding!" Dipper shuddered at the memory. Wirt laughed, pink tinging his cheeks. 

~-=+=-~  (Switching to Wendy pov)

Wendy looked back to check on Dipper and Wirt. They seemed to be getting along just fine, they were even laughing with each other. She turned back to Soos. He had a worried look in his eyes. "I'm just sayin dude, maybe this wasn't such a good idea." 

Wendy looked at Mabel, then back to Soos. She grimaced. "I get it. But the twins are having a nice time... and let's be real. It's two kids, a bird and a frog, you and I alone could take them down if it came to that." 

"That's not all I'm worried about. What about that shadow? It seems like something Mr. Pines' brother would study." 

"I don't know what that was Soos, but it's gone now. We need to focus on the present. We need food and shelter tonight." 

"You're probably right..." But Soos didn't look too sure. 

Wendy looked out into the woods. This shadow monster was the least of her concerns at the moment. She just wanted to get home and be safe with her family. Even if they drove her crazy... She wondered if they were missing her. Then she thought about Robbie and all her friends. Their smiles... their laughter rang in her ears. Homesick. 

CRACK! Lightning lit up the sky. "Dude, we gotta go!" Soos called. The wind picked up suddenly, and rain started to beat down from the heavens. One moment it was pleasant and sunny, but now they were trapped in a full scale thunder storm.  

"Quick!" Beatrice hollered over the howling winds. "Let's go into that barn!"