Chapter 11 (Wirt pov)

Wirt didn't mean to be insensitive, but he didn't really care. He barely even knew Soos, let alone these two strangers he'd actually just met. Apparently, according to Soos, these two weirdos living alone in the woods were his dead mom and dead grandpa. Since Wirt knew for a fact he wasn't dead, there was only one explanation to it all. Dipper came to that realization just a moment before. 

"Purgatory!" 

"Purgatory?" Greg asked. "Is that like another country? Like New Jersey?" 

"Sure Greg," Wirt answered absent-mindedly. Turning to Dipper, he felt a deep sense of uneasiness fall over him. Dipper had once again pulled out his journal and was fingering through it. But Wirt could tell he wasn't searching for anything, he wasn't reading it, it was just a comfort. In literal purgatory, this journal had become Dipper's security blanket. 

"Soos!" The redhead, Wendy, called out to him. "Come here for a moment, the twins want to speak with you!" The group gathered together, leaving Wirt alone with Beatrice. 

Beatrice fluttered down to Wirt's shoulder. "Wirt! Let's get out of here!" 

"But why?" Greg waddled up, half a sugar cookie in his mouth, the rest in his hand. "The nice lady gave me cookies and tea! Tea is gross though! Bleh!" Greg stuck out his tongue as far as it would go, scrunching up his brow. 

"These people are doing nothing but slowing us down!" 

"But they've helped us too! We're staying Beatrice! Come on Greg, let's go talk to the nice lady again." Wirt guided Greg over to the rest of the group, but more specifically, away from Beatrice. Ever since they'd met up with these strangers, she'd been nothing but pushy. "Dipper! Mabel! Where's Soos?" 

"He just went inside," Wendy answered. "He said he'd only be a minute, but we told him to take all the time he needs. The old guy said we could stay overnight in the wood mill, but we'll see." 

Mabel was staying very close to Dipper, their conversation purely whispers. Wirt could only catch bits and pieces. Apparently, Mabel was worried about Soos and his willingness to leave. And Wirt couldn't help but share her anxieties.