Chapter 15 (Dipper pov)

Because of the steadily growing tree twisting its way around Dipper's lower body, the poor boy had been forced to his knees in a kneeling position. At this point, he didn't even have the strength to be upset. He knew his sister would come for him, if for no other reason than a sense of duty. He couldn't help but think that it was a terrible idea though. With Bill and this new enemy here, there was no way they could make it out alive.

The shadowy figure, who Bill kept calling "The Beast", kept saying how Dipper had lost all hope and that's why this tree was able to grow around him. He knew he should feel something, anything. But all he felt was an unrelenting numbness that ate away at the very edges of his soul. The fact that there was a bitter wind, mixed with the light dusting of snow on the ground didn't help matters much. 

Dipper felt to feel his eyes droop again. He knew he needed to stay awake. His friends could be here any second. It wasn't easy though. He barely had any energy anymore. He couldn't remember the last time he ate and the tree that was growing around him seemed to feed off of his strength. How easy it would be to just close his eyes and drift away... safe and warm... letting go of all worries. 

"Hey!" somebody yelled. Dipper groaned inwardly, opening his eyes again. "You can't go dying on me yet, Pinetree!" 

"Don't you want me to die? Wasn't that the whole reason for kidnapping me all along?" 

"That was that thing's reason." His words held thinly veiled disgust for the Beast. "But you think I'd let him take charge of this operation? Let him pull all the strings? Ha! Don't make me laugh! He may have been able to fool that old man for decades, but this game we're playing, it's on a whole new level."