Chapter 12 (Dipper pov)

As it turned out, everyone did stay the night. Soos was the only one welcomed into the house, will the rest were banished to the mill. Dipper knew it could be worse, they could be out sleeping in the woods! At least here they had four walls and a roof. But being on the decaying wooden floor with nothing but a few ratty blankets, didn't feel like much of the improvement. 

Dipper found himself sleeping in between Mabel and Greg, while Wendy and Wirt insisted on being on the outside of the huddle. Dipper didn't mind the sleeping arrangements, he was kept very warm. 

It was sometime past midnight, but before the early reaches of sunlight. Dipper awoke, but he wasn't sure why. Everyone else was sound asleep. The only light came from the dying embers of the fire, and the distant moonlight. Mabel was murmuring in her sleep and Wendy was snoring softly. They didn't notice when Dipper stood up and walked to the barred door. Wirt did though. Dipper didn't hear him stand up and almost screamed when Wirt spoke to him, his voice a raspy whisper. 

"You awake too?" Dipper nodded. Wirt continued. "I'm not sure why I woke up. I suppose there could be a lot of reasons." 

"But none of them seem realistic," Dipper cut him off. Wirt was known to ramble sometimes. "Something's wrong out here. It's unsettling." 

Wirt nodded. "So we're off then?" he asked, taking a quick glance at his sleeping brother who'd rolled right into Mabel. "Let's go." 

Dipper opened the door slowly. There was no way to relock it behind them so this was a very risky move. Dipper knew they couldn't be gone for long. As soon as they were outside, they heard a chilling sound. The rhythmic, harsh chopping of wood. Dipper looked at Wirt and knew they were both thinking the same thing. Of course it could be the woodsman, but why would an old man like him be out so late at night?

Dipper followed Wirt to the origin of the noise and found none other than the woodsman. He wasn't far from the mill, but far enough to think he wouldn't be heard. Dipper and Wirt lingered at the edge of the clearing he was in, too afraid to try and disturb his work. LIttle did they know, they'd be glad they were. 

It was just a shadow at the edges of their vision, but the woodsman sensed it too. He brandished his axe in both hands, taking a defensive position. He slowly turned around in circles. The shadow continued to evade his direct line of sight, as well as the boys'. 

"Come out and face me, Beast!" the woodsman called into the shadows. 

"Ah, Woodsman," the shadows answered in a smooth, honeyed voice. "Why are you so alarmed? You already have everything you want, and I have nothing. There is nothing I can take from you anymore." 

"Leave these words before I make you! There are no more Edelwood trees here! Go harvest someplace else!" 

"I no longer need Edelwood trees, I have procured an endless supply of oil." The Beast had large, glowing eyes. The pastel colors made them look almost passive. 

"Then leave! You said it yourself, you have no business here!" 

"Oh, but I do. You see, we have an audience, and I can't let this evening go to waste. You do have something I can take from you, Woodsman. You've taken in children from these woods and into your home. Everything in the woods is mine, and the moment they left your safety, they became mine again. So I think I'll take a little withdrawal." 

Before anyone knew what was happening, the Beast struck. Dipper blinked and suddenly there was only darkness. He was swallowed by the shadows. He felt his feet being lifted up off the ground and he was weightless. Wirt was yelling, and so was the woodsman. It didn't matter though, there was nothing they could do but watch the young boy being swept away.