6 - nothing like the rain ☽

Love this one. Please leave some comments and votes. It's free and it makes my day ♡

☽☽☽

Luke had no idea when he managed to fall asleep in the middle of his Biology paper.

It's not that he wasn't tired. He spent the entire night thinking about the photo Michael pushed under his door. Luke was annoyed at himself because he enjoyed the topic of it. He had to write a thousand words about what he'd do if he had earth magic for a day.

He'd seen Lia use it and it was incredible. But in all honesty, all magic was.

What woke Luke up were drops of water falling on his forehead. The moment he opened his eyes confusion filled his brain. Drops of water from the glass he had on his table were rising from the surface. They glided through the air above Luke's head and then fell like rain.

He recognized the magic immediately, and when his brain started to work, Luke stood up and opened the door. His mother was standing there with a box that Luke knew was filled with his favorite cookies.

"Hi, baby." She greeted with a warm, kind voice and Luke hugged her like he hadn't seen her in a year.

Liz Hemmings was a completely different person when she was alone with her son.

"Why didn't you come home?" She asked squeezed in Luke's hold.

"You know why." When he let go of her, Liz offered him a sympathetic smile.

"Sometimes I wish I could change it. Take you and your brothers and go somewhere far away from your grandparents. But-"

"Dad would never go and we need the money," Luke concluded. He knew why they lived there. Dad's parents were his family, just a shitty one. "I don't blame you. Never did."

Liz smiled but there was still pain in her eyes as they both sat down on the bed. "I'm so proud of you. I don't care if you're not on the top of your class as long as you're doing your best."

"You didn't seem too happy when my summer project didn't come first." Luke wasn't accusing her of anything, still, he was confused over her reaction when she found out.

"Only because I've seen it. It was the most beautiful thing you've ever painted. It was more of a surprise but I know Suzan isn't biased. I'm sure the one who came before you is just as talented as you are."

Luke was sure of it as well. He had seen Michael's doodles in his and Calum's room. Even the hangman they once played in class looked better than many drawings made when people were actually trying.

"Michael is extremely talented."

His mum frowned. "Is that why you called me? To talk about why I don't want you to be around him?"

In all honesty, Luke wasn't sure why he called her. He wanted to know the truth or at least enough of it to understand why things are the way they are.

The question Luke could ask and get a whole response on it was the picture.

He opened his drawer and pulled out the photography. Only now Luke noticed the year 1998 mark on the back of it. So it wasn't his and Michael's granddads.