Chapter 24

Music that fitted the era the diner was built echoed through the building. It played from a jukebox that had been refurbished but still well loved. Meredith had spent too much time here throughout her childhood. Her mother would take her here after school on Thursdays to get the milkshake of the day which was both of their favorites: cookies and cream. When Meredith graduated from elementary to middle school, she started walking here with friends after school or hung out around here on Friday nights. But she always saved Thursdays for her mother. In high school this was the place people went to eat before going out. Dates were had here on Saturdays and so many people came after church on Sundays. The black and white floors and vinyl booths had seen her at every age. So many firsts and lasts had happened here. She couldn't look anywhere without seeing a memory.

A familiar face walked in the door right as Meredith looked up from her menu. She immediately ducked her head and started scrolling through her phone, hoping he'd continue to walk by. Part of her knew it wouldn't work because she was one of three patrons inside the diner and that if anyone were to know where Meredith was, it would be him.

"Meredith?" Bobby asked. He stood at the edge of the booth looking down at her.

Meredith put her phone down and looked at Bobby. "Yeah. Hi."

"What are you doing here?"

"Having lunch. I assume you're here for the same reason."

Bobby chuckled. "No. I mean what are you doing back here in Oklahoma?"

The last thing Meredith wanted to talk about was the real reason she was here so she made up a lie. "My dad needed me to come back."

"Oh. Well, it's good to see you. Mind if I join you?"

Before she could protest, Bobby was sliding into the booth and picking up a menu.

"I guess not."

"How long are you here for?" Bobby asked as he scanned the menu.

"Not sure."

Meredith looked at Bobby as his eyes moved around the menu. She could see what she saw in him in high school. The draw of his features. Only the pull wasn't there anymore. Bobby didn't give her the stirring feelings anymore. Someone else did now.

She saw Nate's eyes where she should see Bobby's. It was as if Nate was sitting in front of her instead of Bobby. It hurt to imagine his face. Through the pain, she could still feel that nagging feeling she wanted to tuck away. She didn't want to care for him. She wanted to be angry.

Instead all she could think about was how she felt when she was with him.

"Meredith?" Bobby asked. "Are you okay?"

And just like that the mirage of Nate faded away and Bobby was staring at her with a confused look on his face. "Yeah. I'm fine."

"You zoned out there for a minute."

"Did I? Sorry." Before she had the chance to say anything else, the waiter came over to take their orders.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Bobby asked when the waiter walked away. "You don't look like you're alright. Is your dad okay?" Concern grew in his voice.

Avoiding his scrutinizing gaze, she looked out the window. "My dad is fine. I just don't want to talk about it. Okay?"

Bobby nodded his head.

"Thank you."

They sat in silence until Meredith's phone rang, causing her to jump. One look at the screen made her decide that she didn't want to answer it. So she let it ring. And ring and ring. Bobby maintained eye contact with her while the incessant ringtone cut through the diner. He was able to stay quiet for a few rings, but on the fifth he broke.