Excerpt

[Disclaimer: I wrote this freshman year and it's in need for some editing but I wanted to put it back up]

"Kids?" I repeated. "Like giving birth to them or just hanging around them. Because those are two different things... Are you asking me to have your--"

Dante sighed loudly and rubbed his face. "No. You definitely aren't first on the list of females that could have my kid," he said, closing his eyes.

"Good. You'd be a bad father anyways. You know something, you're really rude," I hissed, standing up. "And I'm over it."

Dante stood too, the knuckles on his left hand turning white because he had his hand balled up in a really tight fist. He was clearly forcing himself to stay calm. "Aight, I'm sorry. Can you just sit? Please?" His brows furrowed and he licked his lips.

I sat.

"I was wondering if you could babysit. My daughter, Safiya," he paused to examine my face. "Just for tonight."

Staring at him, I waited for him to say 'It's a prank. The camera is over there.' But he didn't. He was dead serious, actually.

"Daughter? Like... a whole kid," I asked. Just clarifying, because he was lowkey one of those people that referred to their crazy pets as kids. "Not a half, but a whole kid?"

He was growing more and more agitated. I couldn't imagine how annoying his kid would be.

"Yes. An actual kid. Safiya's five, six soon. She's really quiet and stuff so I don't think she'll be much of an issue," he said softly, rubbing the back of his neck. "She likes to color, I guess. So you can do that with her-- And I'll pay you. Of course, I'll pay you. It's just for tonight."

I smirked at him. "Wow. So you can be a regular person."