|9|

"My problem is I don't want you until I need you."

Eden

Eden

"You said you're what?!" Riana screamed through the phone. "I better have heard wrong."

I shook my head and lowered the volume. "I'm pretty sure everyone in the office heard you through the phone just now. Could you be any more obvious?"

"Just so I can confirm that I heard correctly. You're... pregnant," she repeated slowly. "The devil is a lie!"

"I didn't say that! I said that I might be. I'm finding out tonight," I whispered into the phone. "I'm terrified, Ri, and you're not helping."

"I'm gonna kill Cameron. How could he- No, I'm killing both of you. I thought you were more responsible, Eden. Come on now," she paused and sighed. "Wait... Are you thinking about taking care of it?"

"No! I couldn't go through with that. And I just said it's not definite. Just a speculation," I assured myself more than anything else.

"Eden, I'm going to strangle you!"

I pulled the phone away from my ear, groaning.

"You done screaming in my ear, Mom," I asked dully.

"I guess Ima have to be. You'll be ok, though. Pregnant or not. And listen, if Cameron doesn't take it well, you don't need him. Ok? You have me and your parents and everyone else here to help you. You're never alone," she assured me.

I was trying not to think about if Cameron didn't take it well. He already promised that he'd stay no matter what. Plus he wasn't the type of guy to leave over something stupid. "It's really not a big deal. It's just a kid," I said like I was telling her the biggest secret, scared of someone hearing me.

"I'm freaking out for you. Do you know what a baby does to your body? Amir, sit down. I'm not gonna tell you again," she said sharply to her son.

"It can't be that bad. I don't really care what my body's like anyways. Cam doesn't care either," I mumbled, chewing on my pen. "Tell baby boy I said hi."

"I'm sure he doesn't- Amir!" I heard a distinct smack and then a child wailing. The notorious black mom backhand. "Listen, I'm gonna call you back. My advice, take the test with Cameron standing there and really think about if you're ready for this. Love you, ma. I'll call you back after I put Amir down for a nap."

"Alright, I have a meeting I need to go to anyways."

She hung up and I sighed.