|15|

The Squad

Eden

As soon as Rashad pulled up to the building I could already tell it was going to be an eventful night. Ansel had the ushers and valet dressed in flashy gold suits with matching shoes. Their hair was slicked back like Ansel's normally was. In a way, they looked like different race versions of him and it was extremely scary. All of them had a huge grin plastered on their faces as if he'd stuffed their cheeks with some tissue or something. They all had a full face of makeup and looked like a diverse collection of Barbies.

"Welcome to Mr. Reyes twenty-fifth. Can I interest you in 'Reyes of Sunshine' a vodka-based drink handcrafted by the birthday boy." The blue-eyed Barbie that was offering it instantly shut up when I snatched the drink off the tray without hearing the rest.

Tonight was my night, I decided. I swallowed it back, ignoring Raina's eyes that were damn near falling out of her head.

"You don't drink," she whispered in a low tone, death glaring at me after smiling sweetly at the man who had been offering it. "Do you remember the last time you got drunk at a party? You almost bought some guy a house in Brazil. I'm not babysitting you tonight."

I giggled at the thought recalling the guy that I'd almost taken home from the club that night. I couldn't go through sleeping with him so I decided to buy him stuff instead. "His name was Taylor and he was a very nice looking caramel drop. You didn't save me, you ruined my fun. Me and that guy, we had big plans, man."

Rashad grinned at me. "Raina, you should buy me a house in Brazil," he joked, wrapping his arm around her waist as we made our way into the glass elevator.

"Why? So you can take our son and start a new family with some Brazilian model? Try again," Raina grumbled, moving to the other side of the elevator and glancing out at the city below.

I looked over at Rashad and his eyes went wide. "Damn, it was a joke," he laughed halfheartedly. "No need to get mad."

When the doors to the elevator opened, Rashad began to speak to Raina in a hushed tone, trying to explain that it was a joke but she brushed him off. I was trying to keep up with her when I heard a sharp gasp.

"Raina and my baby Eden?"

I turned and came face to face with Azalea. She had a serious tan but still was glowing so hard I needed shades. Her hair which once thin and weak was drawn into a tight full ponytail. Five years later and she still looked like a model. She was tied with Ansel when it came to having the most Instagram followers and boyfriends.

Azalea was the baby sister of the group. We kept her from making bad decisions all throughout college and honestly after we graduated, I was scared to let her go out into the real world. She didn't know how to wash her own clothes or make a PB&J sandwich if she was hungry. She was spoilt, with a 't'. Now the baby girl was a makeup artist for all the big names out there from Beyoncé to all the girls that claimed to do their own makeup but really couldn't hold a makeup brush.