Chapter Seventeen: Ian's Eighteenth Birthday Party

Miranda sighed, annoyed. “Oh my God, Victoria, you haven’t talked about something all week. It’s always Ian, Ian and Ian!”

            I rolled my eyes as Suzanne giggled. “Just leave her alone,” she said, winking at me. “Our Victoria is just in love.”

            She and Miranda laughed and once again, I rolled my eyes at them. “Seriously, guys, is that what you are thinking? Can’t I talk about Ian as a friend—for once? You always put some malice to it.”

            “Oh, just admit it. You love him!” Miranda said in a sing-song voice.

            I hesitated and stared at the inside of my locker. Do I love Ian? Sure, he takes me to great places and talks to me about my problems. He’s there when I need someone. He’s also there when I’m lonely or something. After our date last Saturday, we’ve become closer. It’s like we’ve known each other since birth and not just last month. Is this love? Because I’m sure as hell I’ve never felt like this before with Lance. Then again, Lance was my first love and I was stupid to fall for him. Was it just a puppy love with Lance? Is it true love with Ian?

            I shoved my thoughts away as Suzanne tapped my shoulder. I turned to her and she looked back at me, concerned. “Are you okay, Victoria?”

            I smiled. “Yeah, sure. Why wouldn’t I be?”

            “Just admit it,” Miranda continued, rolling his eyes. “You love the damn guy! You never act like this when you were that jerk, Lance. This is real, Victoria. Ian is the guy for you.”

            “Well, what if he’s not?” I shot back.

            “If he’s not, then you made another wrong turn,” Suzanne said, shrugging. “But I’m sure you haven’t made another wrong turn, Victoria. I think Ian is really the guy for you. And this is me saying this!”

            I sighed and closed my locker door. I do hope I won’t make another wrong turn because I don’t want to be hurt again. One pain is enough.

            “Of course she didn’t make another wrong turn, Suzanne,” Miranda said, looking over at Suzanne as if she was stupid. “Ian is the perfect guy a girl could ask for.”

            “I know, but the perfect guy for me is Vince,” Suzanne blurted out. Miranda and I gasped, our eyes wide. Suzanne’s hands flew to her mouth. “Oh my God, did I just say that out loud?”

            There was an awkward silence for a moment then not surprisingly, Miranda laughed. “I knew it! I knew it! I knew you like Vince!”

            “You mustn’t say something to him!” Suzanne hissed. Then she turned to me, her eyes pleading. “Oh please, Victoria! Don’t tell Vince I said that! I—I don’t want to ruin our friendship. What if he just look at me as a friend or—?”

            “Chill,” I laughed. “I think Vince likes you, too.”

            Her jaw dropped. “Really?”

            “Yeah. Just the way he talks about you—.”

            “He talks about me?!”

            “Well, yeah. Every morning—.”

            “Every morning?!”

            “Jeez, I hate in love Suzanne,” Miranda said, wrinkling her nose. The three of us laughed and the three of us began to walk: me on the middle, Suzanne on my left and Miranda on my right. Then Miranda cleared her throat. “Aren’t you going to ask about mine, too?”