CHAPTER 16: NONA/PETER: NOTICE ME, PLEASE?

Nona felt cornered, her eyes darted back and forth. The other deities were furious with her, she knew this. Jupiter stepped up to her, his body uncomfortably close to hers. She shifted away, well aware of what he did to many woman, even his own daughters, that he lusted for.

"I did nothing!" She cried. "I simply gave another chance to many people, good people. They could avoid another war, my king. They could!"

"But it breached the code of Pluto." A young woman with icy eyes and wreath of flowers round her head remarked. "My husband, might you be aware. He also wishes that you return to him at once."

"No." Nona said firmly. "We agreed to serve each other, and I will not be his doormat any longer. This dark wizard must be stopped. Did you see what he did to Morta? I still know not of her." Her green eyes flashed dangerously. "Do you wish to make an enemy of me?"

"No." Jupiter and Proserpina muttered, casting angry glances her way.

"I do not see how this concerns us, brother." Neptune growled. "Do not drag me off from where I am needed. I do have a kingdom to run."

"Yes," Vulcan grunted. "I was almost finished with my last batch of swords."

He and many others, casting dirty looks at Jupiter, left with a kaleidoscope of light.

"You see, you are the only ones who have a quarrel with me on this. The others, they are indifferent." Nona plead for her safety. "You may still get one, if it suits you."

"One for thousands?" Jupiter shook his head. "Only a fool would make such a bargain."

"Then a fool you must be, your Majesty, but because you do not realize that this boy's death will shake the wizarding world." Nona let herself be just a bit taller than Proserpina. "And you tell your husband he gets what he needs. I only denied him one life directly. And my sister may be found."

"After all these years?" The flower goddess murmured. "You still believe she can be found." With a shake of her head and a snort, she too was gone. Jupiter stood alone.

"So what is it? Do you take it?"

Jupiter sighed, looking older than he usually wanted to. "I do not have a choice."

"Good." She smiled darkly, her blonde hair framing her gentle face, sending mixed signals to Jupiter. And rightfully so. If she must break a few rules here and there, no one would really notice, would they? She wouldn't kill this boy's body, but his soul.

&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&-&

Peter awoke to a slight gasp in the room.

"Where's Sirius?" James said, wide awake and looking around. It was seven o'clock, they had classes soon.

"Maybe he went to the toilet?" Peter offered helpfully, only to shrink under the reproachful state of James.

"Mate, he's been gone for over an hour at least. Unless he's got wicked diarrhea, I doubt he's been in there that long."

"Don't be mean to Pete." Remus grumbled, rolling out of bed. "And you really are daft. He could be in there, simply combing his precious hair. We also have the map, go right ahead and look."

"Oh." He looked at Peter, who truly felt stepped on in the moment. "Sorry. I guess, knowing how vain Sirius can be, you could be right."

He unfurled the map. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." He muttered. Names and footsteps spread across the parchment.

"Blimey." Remus whispered. "He's in the Hospital Wing." They all looked to find he was, of course, right.

"I wonder why he's there." Peter murmured. He worried about his friend, who had helped him so much, gaining confidence, he had been doing much better in classes. "I hoe he's alright."

"I think he is." James pointed out. "Physically at least. Look, he's with Regulus."

"I thought they made up?"

"Yeah, but not anymore." James narrowed his eyes and looked closer. "What the hell..." He whispered.

"What is it?" Remus looked over from where he was putting his uniform on. The he saw it too, and he went pale.

It was faint and obscure, very hard to spot, but it was there. In the corner of the room, watching the brothers. A person named Nona.

"Who's that?" Peter yelped. "I don't know anyone named Nona!"

"It's the name of a fate, Peter." Remus said kindly. "But it's faint, like she isn't really there. What's going on?"

"Do you think the map is malfunctioning?" James questioned, panic lighting his eyes slightly. "We've worked so hard on it!"

"No..." Remus looked like he was going to be sick. "The map never lies. She, or it, must be there."

"What do we do?" Peter squeaked in fear. "We have to help him!"

"We could always just go visit Regulus, say we're here for Sirius, and check and see if she's there." James grinned. "I also want to get to the bottom of all this nonsense that's been going on in our lives."

Peter wished he had the outright bravery and intellect to make up something like that, and it made him feel even worse when he looked at Remus.

Maybe the Dark Lord is the only one who sees anything in you.

A little voice murmured angrily in his ear. He shook himself and realized Remus and James were waiting on him.

"Hurry up Pete! We haven't all day." James laughed. "I would've thought you'd have been down at breakfast already. We're going to have to eat quickly if we want to catch Regulus before class."

"Oh, sorry." Peter tried not to look too afraid. This voice scared him so much. It came whenever his feelings were hurt, or anything went wrong in class. It was easy to block it out now, but it was getting harder. Maybe he needed to talk to Sirius again.

As he headed down to breakfast, however, the only thing he truly needed was some grub in his belly so he could take the rest of the day with a forced smile on his face, pretending everything was fine.