10

Kat checked on Felicity, made sure the little girl was sound asleep and headed to her room, yawning. She was about to get in bed when something outside her window caught her attention. So she looked out. And she stepped back when she spotted a shadow moving at the second floor of the house next door.

Kat grabbed her phone. Alice had moved in with Markus six months ago, and came home only a couple of times a week to check on the place. Nobody was supposed to be there at midnight. Kat looked for Alice's number. The call skipped straight to voice mail. Sort of obvious, that late.

"Hey, Alice, it's Kat Logan. I think I just saw somebody in your house. Let me know if it was you. Else, we should call the police, just in case."

"Mommy...?"

Kat disconnected and swallowed a sigh to turn around. Felicity rubbed her eyes at the door. How come? She was sleeping like a log not two minutes ago!

"Hey, Bunny. What's up?"

"Can I sleep with you?"

"Sure thing. Come here."

Kat lifted her child in her arms and lay her down on her bed. The little girl waited for her to get in bed too and threw her arms around Kat's neck. Kat turned off the light and kissed her daughter's hair. Felicity was already asleep again.