Chapter 1 A new beginning

Chapter 1. A New Beginning

Valeria's P.O.V

"Honey do you have your things packed yet," asked Miss Madeline the house mother, the closest thing I have had to a parent in years as she stood in my doorway, looking at my progress.

"Yeah almost, just give me a minute," I said as I continued to shove things into my suitcases.

"We'll when you are finished meet me in my office, I have something I need to discuss with you," she said before walking away.

"Okay, I'll be there in a minute" I said as I packed my shoes.

********

I pulled my suitcases to the front of Miss Madeline's office, and left them there as I knocked on her door.

"Come in Valeria," she said before I opened the door to her office.

"You said that you wanted to talk to me?" I asked as I stepped into her office.

"Yes, as a regulation of the orphanage you are entitled to a sum of money so that you can at least get something to start off with," she said handing me a manila envelope.

"Thank you, but you know I don't really need it. I think it would be better if you gave that to someone else."

"Nonsense, it's regulation I know that you don't need it, but please just take it," she said holding it out to me.

"Okay I'll take it, but just know that I'm going to do something for the children of the orphanage with this money," I said taking hold of the envelope.

"I know you will, you have always been such a kind hearted girl," Miss Madeline said as she pulled yet another envelope out of her filing cabinet.

"What's this?" I asked as she slid it over to me.

"This envelope was in the basket that we found you in, along with this necklace," she said as she handed me a little small brown pouch.

I opened it, and inside was a necklace with a aqua pendant surrounded by a extravagant design of circles. This thing looked as if it were centuries old from the uniqueness of the design. I put it on, and grabbed it in my hand feeling a wave of power suddenly hit me. My eyes instinctively closed for a second before I quickly released the pendant, and opened them again.

"Why did you wait this long to show me all of this?" I finally asked after a slight moment of silence.

"I would have loved to have given this to you on your sixteen birthday when you first shifted, but I couldn't. It's a regulation of the orphanage that you not be handed anything until you leave the orphanage."

"Why?"

"Valeria, would you have stayed here, if you opened that letter, and it told you where you could be from?" she asked me.

I thought about what I would have done at the age of sixteen if I was being handed this; before I answered her question.

"No, I wouldn't have stayed, I would have left," I told her.

"That is exactly the reason why it is regulation," she said.

"Okay, I understand."

I was opening the letter that Miss Madeline had handed me when my phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket pressed call before I pressed it against my ear.

"Hello."

"Val, I'm waiting for you outside," Aidan said.

"Okay, I'm going just give me a minute," I responded.