Chapter 3

Clove's POV

When we get to the Capitol we are put into our stylist's hands.

"Hello. I am Athalia and this is Sasha and Marcus," says one of the stylists. What are these people wearing? At least I think 'people' is the right species to call them. Athalia has teal hair that falls a little below her shoulders and silver tattoos cover both of her arms. Sasha has a white pixie hair style and light magenta skin. Marcus is a little more normal looking if you ignore his bright purple eyes and blonde hair with red highlights. I have never seen someone with blue hair, pink skin, or purple eyes in my life.

"Hi," I say softly.

"Come sit over here and we can get started," Athalia said. Marcus starts putting something that smells like lavender into my hair, Sasha starts plucking my eyebrows, and Athalia starts painting my nails gold.

About two hours later my hair and make up is done and Athalia, Sasha, and Marcus are leaving. A few minutes later a more normal looking man, when compared to the other stylists, walks in.

"Hi, Clove. I'm Theon," He says, handing me a long white bag. "Go try this on."

I really have no idea what this has to do with District 2. I'm wearing a gold helmet with wings....what the hell?

Cato's POV

"What the hell?" are the words that leave my mouth when I look into the mirror. Theon just shoots me a look.

When I find Clove she has on the same ridiculous outfit on that I do.

"Don't you just love the costume?" I asked her.

"I can't wait till this is over," She answers.

"Places everyone!" I can hear someone shouting frantically. We step onto the chariot and wait for the ceremony to begin. The District 1 girl turns around, smiles, and winks at me. I pretend I don't see her and look around.

"Looks like blondie is trying to make allies with you," Clove mutters.

"Why bother? District 1&2 are always allies."

She says something else, but I can't hear her over the music that starts playing. Before the chariot starts moving Clove squeezes my hand. Hopefully she's not mad anymore.

Everyone is cheering and shouting, "Distict 2!" when we enter the city. The ride ends shortly, but before Clove and I head back upstairs someone catches my eye. It's the girl from District 12. Her costume is on fire. Literally. Clove and I step into the elevator before I can see anyone else's costume.

"Did you see her?" I ask Clove.

"Who?"

"The girl from District 12. Her costume was on fire."

"Cato, no one says stuff like that anymore."

"No. I mean her costume was literally on fire."

"I didn't see her, but I saw the boy from District 12. He looked like he was about to pee himself."

The elevator doors open and we walk to our rooms.

"Hey, Clove?"

"Yeah?"

"You're not mad at me. Are you?"

"I'm not mad at you, Cato," She says, then she softly kisses my cheek and goes inside her room.

Finally I get to take this ridiculous outfit off. I take a quick  shower and climb into bed. Surprisingly I fall asleep quickly.

When I get to the dining room the next morning Clove is arguing with Enobaria.