Chapter 6

Clove's POV

That morning I woke up with a smile on my for the first time in... I thought it for a second. That was the first time.

"What are you smiling about?" Cato whispered in my ear. "Did you forget that we're fighting to the death today?"

"I was kind of hoping that it was just a bad dream."

"Sorry," he apologized and kissed my forehead.

"I should probably go."

"Don't go." He sounded like a five year old.

I didn't want to say goodbye to him. "See you later."

The next time we see each other we'll be in an arena filled with kids trying to kill us. That is just lovely. I walked back to my room and took a long hot shower. It's probably the last shower I'll ever have. That's pathetic. I've already given up on myself. I don't have anything to go back to if I win. What's the point of surviving if I can't go back home to Cato? If I win, then he dies. If he wins, then I die. I told him that there wouldn't be a happy ending.

Cato's POV

"Arm please." A capitol lady inserted a tracking device into my left arm. The games were going to begin in less than thirty minutes. How did this happen? Just two weeks ago I was helping Cameron with her homework. Just two weeks ago I was training with Caleb.

I always knew this day would come, but I didn't know that Clove would be by my side. I used to wonder how I would win. Just thinking about Cameron, Caleb, and Clove would motivate me to move forward, but now it's pointless. Now I have to protect Clove, so she can go home.

Before I knew it I was standing around the cornucopia with twenty-three other tributes. I couldn't see Clove anywhere. I cracked my knuckles and acted like I was ready for the blood bath. We waited for the count down to begin. If you moved before before the time was up then you would be blown to pieces.

I'm about to fight to the death and all I could think about was Clove and what was going to happen to us.

"Ten. Nine."

She's my bestfriend.

"Eight. Seven."

She knows me better than anyone.

"Six. Five."

I love her.

"Four. Three."

I don't want to lose her.

"Two."

I have to protect her.

"One."

Some kids raced towards the cornucopia and others ran towards the forest. All of the careers new what the plan was: Kill.

I found a sword just in time to see a kid sprinting towards me with a knife. Poor kid actually thinks he has a chance. He was dead the second he came near me. I turned around to see Clove throwing a knife at the girl from District 12. Clove never misses. Was it really that easy to take her down in the first few minutes? No. Katniss raised her back pack at just the right moment. A few seconds later a kid half my size tried to tackle me. I'm actually offended that these kids think they can kill me. Do I really look like an easy person to take down? That is just rude. With one quick movement the boy was dead.

When I turned around I saw a guy about my size on top of Clove with a knife in his hand. I sprinted towards them and knocked him off of Clove. I was sitting on top of him punching him repeatedly. Why was I punching him? There was a knife laying on the ground beside me. I grabbed the knife and ended his life.