Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Cato's POV

What am I doing? I ask myself as I continue to kiss her. This is wrong. We're supposed to be enemies. This is wrong. I'm not supposed to love her. This is wrong. Everything is going to be harder this way. This is wrong. I can no longer ignore the thoughts going through my head. I pull away from Clove and look down at her big brown eyes.

"What's wrong?" she whispers, her arms still wrapped around my neck.

"I can't." Why am I hurting her? "I can't. I'm sorry."

I see the pain in her eyes and instantly want to shove the words back into my mouth and act like it never happened.

"Can you please get off of me?" She says, keeping her voice steady. She didn't raise her voice or get angry like I thought she would. I carefully got up and watched her walk towards the door. I can't hurt her like this.

"Clove, wait." I said, meeting her at the door.

"What?" The girl of my dreams turned around. "Are you going to tell me don't leave?" She stepped closer and smiled. "Are you going to tease and flirt with me?" She closed the space between us and gently put her hand on my face. "Are you going to kiss me?" She said, her lips inches from mine. She took a step back. A hurt expression came onto her face. "Then are you going to say 'Oh nevermind'? Are you going to apologize? Well don't waste your breath because I don't want to hear it." She said slamming the door in my face.

Clove's POV

I walk to my room trying to blink back the tears. I shouldn't cry over him. I didn't cry when my dad beat me when he was drunk, or when i heard my parents arguing in the middle of the night, or when I found out my family was irreparable. I don't cry over anyone.

Knock, knock, knock

"Clove, please open the door." Cato said on the opposite side of the door.

"Just go away."

"Please. I need to talk to you."

I go back and forth in my head and finally decide to open the door.

"What?" I said, opening the door a few inches.

"Can I come in?"

"No."

He took a deep breath before saying,"I'm sorry I was such a jerk."

"You know maybe it's better this way."

"What do you mean?"

"We should just play the game the way it's supposed to go."

"Clove."

"We can be allies and pretend to care for each other. Then the minute it's time to break the alliance you can kill me. That's how it's supposed to end."

"That's not how I want it to end!"

"How is it supposed to end, Cato? Sorry, but living happily ever after isn't possible! All of those fairytales are full of it! There won't be a happy ending!"

He runs his fingers through his hair like he always does when he's stressed.

I looked into his deep blu eyes and said,"There is only one victor and eveyone knows that it's Cato's year to win." Then I carefully shut the door in his face for the second time that night.

A few minutes after I turn out the light and crawl into my bed I heard a loud noise coming from across the hall.

BOOM!