Chapter 10

Clove

Just a few days later and there's only ten of us left. Marvel had been quiet ever since last night when we found out Glimmer died. I for one didn't take it too personally. Of course I feel bad though because we're all thrown into to this morbid game and only one of us will survive. The game never truly stops though. Whoever the victor is will have to fight the game of life. They will have to live with what they have experienced in this arena. The victor will have to fake smiles to please people everyday even though they want to break down. I can't tell which game is worse. Maybe Glimmer is the lucky one.

Usually I'm good at holding the tears in, but I can't help it right now. I start crying.

It's probably about 4 a.m. and Cato is the only person awake besides me. I try to stop the tears before he realizes that I'm crying, but it's too late.

"Clove, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Please don't lie to me."

I can't lie to him. "I just can't stand the thought of losing you and having to live without you."

He wraps his arms around me and wipes the tears away. I hide my face in his chest.

"Clove, please look at me," he tilts my chin up,"I will never leave you."

"You can't promise me that."

"Yes I can. I pinky promise I will always be with you."

I hold onto those words as I fall back to sleep and I hope with all my heart that they're true.

-----------------

Cato

It hurts when I see Clove crying. I wish I could take all of her pain away. I'm worried that if I protect her and make sure she wins then I'll be causing her even more pain. Maybe I'm being weak and wanting the easy way out. I would rather die than live in a world without Clove. I know the pain would be unbearable if I won and had to live with the memories of this game and how I lost the one thing I love the most.

I also can't just let us both die. She has to live and move on and make a family of her own and be happy. I didn't lie to her when i said I'll always be with her because I know I'll always be in her heart. I have to protect her and then maybe one day we'll be together again.

For right now in this moment all I can do it hold her and wipe the tears away.

---------------------------

Authors note

sorry for the short/sad chapter but things are about to get interesting here. I would like to get all of you involved in this story. I know in The Hunger Games book that Katniss and Peeta win the games, but I'm having trouble deciding how I want this story to end. I want you to comment your opinion. who should win? Katniss and Peeta or Cato and Clove? Please comment and let me know what you think!