Chapter 3: First Day

As my father drove me down streets leading up to Tobagco Academy, I began feeling a nagging feeling of both not belonging there and a sense of loss. By loss, I mean my now shortened summer to attend a high-class school.

Even two days later, I had still gotten no answer from my dad on how he managed to get me into this school. He keeps saying I'm good at clay related stuff and recording, but I don't see how that's enough to get me into such a school.

I wore my new clothing, which still had a bit of that new-clothes-smelling, straight-off-the-rack scent. I was trying my best to keep it without wrinkles, since my dad had put in effort in ironing my shirt and shorts.

When we finally arrived, I felt a small breeze of anxiety brush over me as I saw tons of teenagers being dropped off by their parents or arriving by walking. The school's gate was large enough to display the hundreds of students strolling into the immense school. The anxiety felt as though it was growing by the second seeing that many of these students were wearing anything between a white shirt and tie with a vest or simple tank tops with swimming trunks.

I felt both out of place and in place with the whole variety of people walking through the gates. My dad reassured me that it would be all okay with a small pat on the shoulder and saying, "You'll be fine! Just make sure you head to the assembly beforehand and get your schedule!"

"B-But I didn't even choose my classes!"

"It's alright! You can change them in the first week of school! Just make sure you change them to anything you like and make sure to do it on time!"

"I hope we can do that..." I swung my backpack over my shoulder.

"Okay, go! Cars are waiting for us, so go! You'll be fine! I LOVE YOU!" He patted me out and hollered the last thing before having to drive off. A whole line of cars slowly pulled up and let their kids out.

After I made sure no one heard my dad, I inhaled a quick breath and quickly built up the confidence to began the stroll through the gates alongside the hundreds of other students wearing what described them personally.

Upon entering, I began examing the school even more. The school began filling into the main building with students, and I reluctantly went inside.
Through the crowd of kids trying to reach the assembly early, I saw display after display of trophies, ribbons, and awards mounted on the walls that were decorated with posters or previous drawings or paintings of students past.

I was outstood by how there was even a skylight along with other stuff like a large model airplane hanging or some crazy modern art also hanging. I was so distracted by all these abnormal things to me, that I was nearly late for the assembly in the humongous gymnasium.

By huge, I mean being able to fit all 2,877 students in the raised bleachers from the basketball court below. I was again outstood by the sheer amount of people sitting with the school principal walking into the middle of the court. He was a large buffalo, and it appeared that his suit was nearly about to rip in his size.

"Welcome students, to a new year at Tobagco Academy! A new year, new students with talents just waiting to be unlocked!" His deep voice bellowed into the microphone.

I propped my hand up against my chin and made sure my shirt didn't press up against my gut. I pulled the hem of the shirt out before I accidentally made eye-contact with a kid who wore a vest. I saw him shake his head in either disappointment or disgust, though either way, I felt embarrassed at him catching me pulling my slightly sweaty shirt out from under my stomach.

The principal continued his speech, talking about how he was happy to have so many students in the school and was excited to see how each and every single one of us was going to succeed after we graduate. My dad told me the school had a graduation rate of 96 percent, which made me think of being apart of the 96 percent and holding my certificate.