Chapter 5: Anime Club

"Doodle club... where you can make your own comic and get it published in the school paper. Full." I muttered to myself.
"Dance club... dance to hip-hop, pop, and anything of your choice. Benjamin's in it. Full."

I sighed and looked around some more. It was passing period to our final class and I was running late. But I wanted to find a club as soon as possible. Problem was, all the ones I was interested in joining were already full. There was one left that I was slightly interested in, Otaku Desu, the anime club.

"Uh... I kinda like anime. But it's hard to find a good one nowadays." I said, scribbling my name on the paper. There were eight members so far, and one of them struck out to me.

Benjamin Mutton. Did he sign up to another club? I didn't even think that was possible to do.

"Well... all the more reason to sign up I guess..." I said, shrugging. The paper also had a phone number, to call the club leader to get informed about the club's time and place.

I had an Internet crush on Benjamin, mostly because of his dancing, but I started to feel bad for him. From the looks of it, he had enough people crushing after him. A rough estimate would have all his admirers fill a classroom, so me being another one would be another rowdy kid he would have to deal with.

"All I want is to talk to him... that's all I want..." I told myself, pushing back fantasies about him and I.

When I got home, my dad let out a huge yawn and said, "Sorry kid... work messed me up more than usual. I'm gonna take a nap." He patted my head before going into his room. Less than a minute later, I heard him snoring.

"Hmm..." I pulled out my phone and started a message with the person who left their number on the Otaku Desu club paper while walking into the kitchen.

Hi
I signed up to the club and was wondering when it will be
And where it will be

Yeah, the club will be during lunch Tuesdays and Thursdays in the main building in the art room
My names James
Hah that rhymed
But yeah, Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch, so bring your own lunch

I sent him a thank you and began making a few sandwiches that were for me and my dad.
"The art room in the main building would be... Mrs. Smith's room. I thought art teachers didn't like anime?" I asked myself during making them.

"Ho boy... Benjamin's going to be there. Not surrounded by a huge group of people... talking about anime I probably have no idea about... and I have to bring my own lunch."

I suddenly felt a sense of happiness, both from being involved with something and from being able to talk with Benjamin.

"Aw man, no! Just... Benjamin is just a classmate and clubmate... he already has enough people after him.. you're not special enough for him." I told myself.

. . .

The next week on Tuesday, I was more than ready to head to the classroom. I had told Owen about this and he told me he was glad that I was getting involved with something. We exchanged numbers, and I felt like a hundred bucks when he agreed to do so.

"Wonder what anime we're going to talk about?" I wondered, passing by the familiar displays and awards.

I reached the classroom and sighed happily, knowing I would be safe from Jared. The past week was basically me trying to avoid Jared. I honestly thought he was some nutcase. Why would he think I was even after Ben when even I knew that I was way out of his league. I was fat, below average in height, not smart, and not even close to good-looking.